• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 np231???

Not sure if the driveshafts are the same length, but other than that they will work. The 242 has an option for full-time four wheel drive, in other words it can be driven in four wheel drive all the time and on dry pavement. Where you at in PA?

My cherokee is a 95, and i was told only certin 94's and all 95 t cases would work, but no one is sure why other years wont work. the 91-95 (or 96) all use the same transmission, so i figured the t cases would work. does anyone know if they will work?

some years have the 21 spline tranny output and others have the 23 if you do a search you could find which have which pretty easily. I have heard the 242 is longer than the 231 so you may need a new driveshaft too.

Check the input shaft spline count before commiting to a purchase. There is a difference between 90's and up and the 80's models. Not sure what the year split is though. Do a search.

WTF, PM this shit huh. Why didn't you just say PM me, instead of giving me a bad rating and saying PM this shit next time. I simply was trying to be friendly and invite you wheeling.

Nevermind, I apoligize. A PM is a personal message just between two people. Someone gave me a bad rating and said next time PM this shit and I though tit was you and was curious as to why you didnt just say next time PM me. Now I'm wondering why they didn't just say PM him next time. Anyway I'm sorry about that. We will have to go wheeling sometime.

sorry about the confusion. we should go wheelin some time though. i just sold my lifted cherokee (4 inches, 32 bfg's) and just bought a stock 95. my buddy has an 85 cherokee with 8 or 10 inches (we lost count), 33 thornbirds, a chevy 305, and a ford 9 inch with 4.11's. we need to get a front driveshaft made then we should be ready to go. e mail me in a few weeks and we can get together. [email protected]

I have a 1990 Cherokee with the 21 spline. Swapped my 231 for a 242 with no problems. For the shift linkake I just swapped out the the shifter gate plate. On the drivers side of the tranny there was a short pigtail for the tc switch which I got an extension from a donor Cherokee. This pigtail controls the dash indicator lights, had to put a bulb in the "fulltime" indicator light.
I understand 1991 and up have 23 splines.

a small thing that you might want to know:

NP stands for "New Process"
NV stands for "New Venture"
NVG stands for "New Venture Gear"

and the 231 and 242 came with all these letter desegnations... and are the sameISH...

check them based on their tag, red in color, located on the rear DS end of the T-case, looks like this:
u1ysn

maybe with a little less muck and mud on it, but thats where it is...

Back