• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driver front wheel wobble, hub/ ball joint

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
just took off the 33s and threw 31s on to kill them off, anyway the driverside wheel has a good wobble. when i regeared last summer i was told the bottom ball joint was loose. But, when wiggling this, it is the ball joint thats moving, i even tightened the axle nut just incase.

ill try to get a youtube video posted once i can register/upload one if its necessary. i noticed the issue because its eating the flippin tire:shocked:

watch the brake rotor move, if the rotor moves with the knuckle its the ball joints, if the rotor moves seperatly from the knuckle its the unit bearing. jack the axle up bit and place a long bar under the tire and pull while watcing.

measuring the driver side hub gives the 1/2" lip thus is composite unless the above information is inaccurate, ill be ordering composite accordingly.

Should anyone have any other input feel free to chime in, however I know this is a beat to death topic.

thank you for your help hypoid.

You betcha! :cheers:

I posted both because your profile lists your XJ as a '99, which looks to be a change year.

I reviewed both links and find they take different measurements? In any case, the cast rotor has a thicker mounting surface and the unit bearing dimensions reflect that.

Back