• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 XJ AW4 slipping after TV cable left disconnected

sizemoremk

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, we recently got a 1988 XJ based rig, which still has the original 4.0 I6 and AW4 transmission.

I am wondering if leaving the TV cable disconnected will ruin an AW4 transmission?

After removing and replacing the valve cover to investigate some engine noise, I accidentally forgot to reconnect the TV cable to the throttle bracket.

We wheeled the rig this way for a few hours, which included my kid hitting several large puddles and showered the rig real good a few times.

After a few hours, the transmission started to slip. We were in 4 lo the whole time. It never failed to leave from a stop, and I am not 100% sure if it was slipping in 1st or when shifting from 1st to 2nd. When it began to slip, we just nursed it back to the trailer, after which I realized the TV cable was mistakenly not reattached. We re-attached it and tried again, but the issue remained.

So my first question is, will a disconnected TV linkage fry an AW4 transmission in a failry short time? I have searched for the answer, but I did not find anything that indicated that it would indeed ruin a transmission.

I am a ford guy, so the jeep suiff is pretty new to me; but I am painfully aware that in a ford AOD of the same era, a disconnected TV linkage will smoke lots of clutches and fry and transmission within a few miles. I'm wondering if the same applies to one of these AW4 trannys?

The fluid does not look burnt or smell bad on the dipstick but I have not yet pulled the pan to check out the material in the pan.

I did read that a bad TPS (or getting the TPS wet) can cause some erratic transmission behavior. I'm hoping maybe its just that...

Thanks!

I am wondering if leaving the TV cable disconnected will ruin an AW4 transmission?
After a few hours, the transmission started to slip. We were in 4 lo the whole time. I realized the TV cable was mistakenly not reattached. We re-attached it and tried again, but the issue remained.

So my first question is, will a disconnected TV linkage fry an AW4 transmission in a failry short time?

The cable controls the transmission's hydraulic pressure, the more the throttle is pushed, used, the more the trans cable is pulled out, increasing the pressure used to lock the clutches and servos.
Minimal pressure will lead to slipping.
My 1997 XJ's trans cable end broke and fell off the throttle body. The Jeep would barely move. It was fixed before proceeding. I love zip ties.

Did you damage it? There's good chance you toasted the clutches but it's a question only you can answer.
If it still slipping, change the fluid and hope for the best..and maybe start looking for a another transmission.
The transmission cable is there for a reason. You knew it fell off and kept on driving.

Well to split hairs, we didn't know it was disconnected, we accidentally forgot to reconnect it after doing some other stuff, then wheeled it for a couple of hours.

As soon as my kid noticed slipping he nursed it back to the trailer.

i'm really hoping it was some water in the TPS and/or TCM, we will have some time to troubleshoot more this weekend.

Thanks!

Update, so I pulled the TCM/TCU and there was rusty water coming out of the box as I unhooked it from the harness!

Cleaned it up and resoldered a 3.6LK ohm resistor on the board and put everything back together and it seemed to have fixed it.

Ran it for awhile out here in the sticks and it shifted just fine several times!

This still doesn't answer the question 100% though. I would still like to know exactly how bad it is to run with TV disconnected. So if anyone has any experience driving with one unhooked for some period of time I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks all!

Update, so I pulled the TCM/TCU and there was rusty water coming out of the box as I unhooked it from the harness!

Cleaned it up and resoldered a 3.6LK ohm resistor on the board and put everything back together and it seemed to have fixed it.

So maybe not slipping, but maybe the TCM was having issues and it was trying to start in 4th gear?

Well to split hairs, we didn't know it was disconnected, we accidentally forgot to reconnect it after doing some other stuff, then wheeled it for a couple of hours.

As soon as my kid noticed slipping he nursed it back to the trailer.

i'm really hoping it was some water in the TPS and/or TCM, we will have some time to troubleshoot more this weekend.

Thanks!

Since it was disconnected and you were wheeling it (which is very hard on the transmission) you probably destroyed the transmission.

By all means try a fluid/filter. Install a Magnefine on the return cooling line.

Cross your fingers and pray.

But don't be surprised if it's toast. (fingers crossed for you!)

This still doesn't answer the question 100% though. I would still like to know exactly how bad it is to run with TV disconnected. So if anyone has any experience driving with one unhooked for some period of time I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks all!

The TV cable controls hydraulic pressure in the transmission, as well as shift points. This has already been answered.

To simplify it-it's SUPER bad for it.

Back