• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No spark, replaced CPS, ECU, ASD relay... nothing getting to the coil

RubiconXJ90

NAXJA Forum User
I am not getting any spark on my 95' XJ.
Replaced my CPS, ECU unit, ASD relay, checked my coil, coil is fine but nothing is going to the coil.
So from what I understand, the The green/orange wire that gos to the coil is fed from the ASD relay (automatic shut down relay), replaced that relay, still no luck. So i guess im down to the PCM? (Powertrain Control Modual).
My book tells me that from 91' to 98' XJ's are epuiped with a Powertrain Control Modual. They must have skipped 95' because I cant seem to locate it from where my book tells me it is!!??
The PCM is apparently is what feeds the relays. Where is the PCM located on my 95? my book shows it locted on the firewall from 91' to 98'....

langer1 said:
Yes it could but what code are you getting, a bad CKP will through a code "Lose of sync pulse or something.

I'm just getting code 12 and 55. 12 meaning that "it was cleared" and 55 meaning "end of message."

Another thing that I'm thinking it could be is the ignition switch, I've started to notice that I have to turn the key more than once to get the engine to turn over. Anyone ever have this problem? (95 XJ airbag steering column)
I've gone over EVERYTHING on the engine that could cut out power to the coil... and I'm just getting code 12 and 55.
The only sensor that I haven't to replace is the knock sensor, but that should show code 16 for open or short.
Is the ignition switch testable once removed?

did I mention that I hate electrical...? yea... I hate electrical!

RubiconXJ90 said:
come on guys... someone must know some sort of an answer!?

What were you doing when the jeep failed? What maintenance had you performed directly prior to the jeep failing?

Start over.

Check all your fuses, both under the dash and in the PDC under the hood. Don't just glance from the top, pull them, look at them from the side.

lilredwagn said:
What were you doing when the jeep failed? What maintenance had you performed directly prior to the jeep failing?

Start over.

Check all your fuses, both under the dash and in the PDC under the hood. Don't just glance from the top, pull them, look at them from the side.

The jeep just came to a dead stall while I was taking a left from a left turn lane. Wouldnt start back up, noticed that it was no longer getting spark, no power to the coil. It was running smooth before hand.
I have gone thoroughly over ALL the fuses over and over again.
Replaced the Crank Shaft positioning Sensor, ECU, ASD relay, camshaft modual, rotor/cap, spark plug wires, checked the coil at an auto supply shop, checked the timing chain, just today I replaced the Ignition switch because the old one I had to either hold the key in the start position for 1 to 3 seconds or turn it more than once before the engine would even crank, But whats funny is that new one still dose the same...?
I am still only getting code 12 and 55.

Alright, fuses are check.

I'm reading from my 96 FSM, fwiw.

Disconnect the coil from the harness (the supply side, not the spark side) and use a couple short pieces of wire to jump the connection. (this is so that you can get a probe onto the circuit without breaking the connector open)

Turn the ignition to "on" (not start)

Use a voltmeter. Touch the voltmeter negative to vehicle ground and probe the right hand wire (as you face the vehicle from the front) with the positive lead on the voltmeter. You should get 12.4 or greater volts. If you get nothing, try the wire on the other side.

Once you've found the wire with 12v on it, have someone crank the engine for 5 seconds while you monitor the voltage reading.

While cranking, does the voltage:
-stay at or near zero for all 5 seconds
-stay at 12v for 1-2 seconds and then drop to zero
-stay at or near 12v for entire length of cranking

?

Back