NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 25th, 2017, 12:10
NAXJA Member 4950

Re: Front Axle Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone289 View Post
Agreed. If you drop the shocks, track bar and steering linkage that is true. But let's not give the guy the false impression that just disconnecting the shocks will get the job done without a compressor.
Its also not going to drop down enough with the sway bar attached
Old August 25th, 2017, 12:54
NAXJA Forum User

True that. Honestly, I thought it was just as easy to disco the swaybar and shocks and use a compressor I rented for free at AutoZone.

Last edited by Tbone289; August 25th, 2017 at 13:08.
Old August 25th, 2017, 14:53
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Not true, at least on a stock XJ.

I just replaced springs on a stock '00 a couple of months ago, and there's no way you will get the spring out without a compressor by just disconnecting the shocks and spring tab. You will need to drop the LCAs if you don't want to use a compressor. it will help to have a buddy available to stand on the hub while suspended so you don't have the compress the spring so far.

See here for details:
https://youtu.be/zKxw5ZMAlts
Interesting, as I've done this several times without compressors.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old August 25th, 2017, 20:41
TOOL

Never used a compressor. Jack it way up place on stands, lowers, steering,TB, sway bar, shocks and blam the coils darn near fall out.

Bleepin Jeep is full of miss information but that's ok after you've built 5 or 7 Jeep's you read through that stuff quickly.

Sent from my Arse because my hands are full.
Old August 26th, 2017, 05:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
Interesting, as I've done this several times without compressors.
If you can drop OEM coils out of a stock XJ by hand after only unbolting the shocks and the coil clip, either you are the man or you are working on an XJ with a seriously worn out front end.

Next time you do that, take some video. That's something I would sure like to see.

Watch that youtube video posted above and tell me at what point after the shocks are disconnected that we should just pull the spring out by hand.

Last edited by Tbone289; August 26th, 2017 at 05:51.
Old August 26th, 2017, 05:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddypunk View Post
Never used a compressor. Jack it way up place on stands, lowers, steering,TB, sway bar, shocks and blam the coils darn near fall out.

Bleepin Jeep is full of miss information but that's ok after you've built 5 or 7 Jeep's you read through that stuff quickly.

Sent from my Arse because my hands are full.
It's not misinformation. There's more than one way to skin a cat. I think we've already covered the fact that this is one of those cats.

Nobody in this thread has said that spring compressors are an absolute requirement for this job.

Last edited by Tbone289; August 26th, 2017 at 05:48.
Old August 26th, 2017, 05:50
NAXJA Member 4950

Shocks, sway bar, coil spring retainer clip, and calipers are all that really need to be removed to let the front drop far enough.
Old August 26th, 2017, 06:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green XJ Jeep View Post
Shocks, sway bar, coil spring retainer clip, and calipers are all that really need to be removed to let the front drop far enough.
I had a 200lb buddy standing on the hub with all of that disco'd, and we couldn't get the spring out by hand. The bumpstop tube and spring perch was still in the way, and the spring was still under compression, just as BleepinJeep's video shows. Actually, there was no reason to remove the caliper in my case, because it wouldn't even come close to over-extending the brake line. If it was, why not just unbolt the line from the inner fender instead of removing the caliper?

I guess everyone's XJs are different since nobody in this thread seems to be able to agree what needs to be disconnected. If what you say is all that is needed to be disconnected, why are others saying that you need to drop the trackbar, control arms, etc.?

Last edited by Tbone289; August 26th, 2017 at 06:34.
Old August 26th, 2017, 06:52
NAXJA Forum User

Maybe this is a low pinion D30 vs. high pinion D30 issue? I didn't think at the time that was the limiting factor with mine, but I suppose it's possible...
Old August 26th, 2017, 07:13
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:
I had a 200lb buddy standing on the hub with all of that disco'd, and we couldn't get the spring out by hand. The bumpstop tube and spring perch was still in the way, and the spring was still under compression, just as BleepinJeep's video shows. Actually, there was no reason to remove the caliper in my case, because it wouldn't even come close to over-extending the brake line. If it was, why not just unbolt the line from the inner fender instead of removing the caliper?

I guess everyone's XJs are different since nobody in this thread seems to be able to agree what needs to be disconnected. If what you say is all that is needed to be disconnected, why are others saying that you need to drop the trackbar, control arms, etc.?
Honestly forgot to mention the track bar.

You can get the drivers side out without removing the track bar but not the pass side.

The caliper is 2 bolts and it gets hung out of the way unbolting from the inner fender (on both of mine) still wouldnt let the axle drop enough.
On my 89 and 96 that is all i had to do. Control arms stayed in place on both.
How or why your control arms are binding (my guess body side of upper arm) is anyones guess but the only time i have ever removed controls arms for a spring replacement is if i am replacing the arms.
Old August 27th, 2017, 16:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Maybe this is a low pinion D30 vs. high pinion D30 issue? I didn't think at the time that was the limiting factor with mine, but I suppose it's possible...
no. the mounts are identical on HP vs LP.

even with having ONLY the 4 control arms hooked up it may still be difficult to slip the springs out. the stock control arms hit the coil mount and limit droop. this is an issue that aftermarket arms address with either a bend in the tube or offsetting the tube on the joint.

ive never used compressors... there is usually enough room to wiggle a pry bar in there and muscle the coil over the mount and slip it out.
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:29
NAXJA Forum User

So I've been hunting for a D30 for days now. I've found a handful on HP's but none of them are in usable condition. I don't see the point in buying one that needs a ton of work, I could just rebuild mine. Any of you guys have any or know of places in MI? I'm in Genesee county and will drive 3-4 hours in any direction for the right deal. I've checked Facebook, Craigslist, called several yards in this area and nothing worth pulling the trigger on. I'm going to start looking in other major areas but thought I'd put the word out.
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumeknob View Post
So I've been hunting for a D30 for days now. I've found a handful on HP's but none of them are in usable condition. I don't see the point in buying one that needs a ton of work, I could just rebuild mine. Any of you guys have any or know of places in MI? I'm in Genesee county and will drive 3-4 hours in any direction for the right deal. I've checked Facebook, Craigslist, called several yards in this area and nothing worth pulling the trigger on. I'm going to start looking in other major areas but thought I'd put the word out.
have you used car-parts.com?
you could also post a wanted add on greatlakes4x4.com

i am in macomb county myself.
Old August 28th, 2017, 08:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
have you used car-parts.com?
you could also post a wanted add on greatlakes4x4.com

i am in macomb county myself.
No, I'll check those out, thanks!

Edit: Just checked out car-part.com, very nice resource!

Last edited by volumeknob; August 28th, 2017 at 08:36.
Old August 29th, 2017, 07:53
NAXJA Forum User

Any tips on which upper control arm bushings to use? Found a few flavors of Moog: K3128 & K3162. I'm assuming the K3162 are more better, right