NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 29th, 2012, 21:23
NAXJA Forum User

Anyone use OME LIGHT DUTY leafs?

Been doing some research, and I think these are the springs I want. I'm looking to get 3"-3.5" of lift in combo w/shackle brackets and longer shackle.

Anyone use these, and can share their experience?

Thanks
Old May 31st, 2012, 15:33
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Anyone use OME LIGHT DUTY leafs?

Umm... ok, anyone use the OME HD leafs?
Old May 31st, 2012, 18:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlarroc View Post
Umm... ok, anyone use the OME HD leafs?
Neither, i have medium duty leaves with an extra leaf. Love them! I should be around 3.5-4" of lift when i install my shackle brackets.
[/QUOTE]
Old May 31st, 2012, 18:40
Piece of Fish!

With MD or HD you are looking around 3-3.5" alone until they settle.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:57
NAXJA Member

The OME HD springs give me a harsher ride over speed bump type asphalt repairs, and cordoroy surfaces, etc. However, they are great for hauling cargo weight, and/or small trailering. I figured I did not want to replace OEM with OEM replacement types, so upgraded to a more sturdy leaf pack, (rather than those of a Cadillac ride quality), and also went all the way around with OME shocks, and OME front coils for additional ARB bumper/W-M8000 winch.

However, I am not looking for great lift/height, but rather a good solid stance of 2" with the addition of 30"-ers, JKS discos, rear sway tossed out.

Guess the bottom line, (other than money), is what you want your XJ to accomplish as per the terrain you want to take it. Mine is set up for highway DD, bad rutted roads, and muddy one lane trails.
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:14
NAXJA Forum User

been running OME HD springs (front/rear) since 04ish - they've obviously settled some, but still perform well and don't sag. the ride was a huge improvement in my opinion, less harsh than the factory "up-country" springs i was running. i do some mild/moderate off-roading and really like the performance, both on/off the street. if these ever need replacing i will replace with the same.
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:00
NAXJA Forum User

thanks for the response guys..

from info gathered on the search, the HD leaves are softer (137lbs/") until you hit the overload (257lbs/"), so they should ride better than the LD (148lbs/"), and be able to haul more weight. However, i like to go rock crawling, so i'm not sure if the overload would hinder flex.

i spoke to ARB, and the guy told me they would both net around the same lift, 2.5"+, but the light duty will be a bit stiffer empty. he also said the HD's overload is somewhat straight and there's a possibility of getting hung up on something.

i really only have my 60lb spare in back, and when i go camping, mite carry 150-200 lbs. tow a trailer twice a year..
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
thanks for the response guys..

from info gathered on the search, the HD leaves are softer (137lbs/") until you hit the overload (257lbs/"), so they should ride better than the LD (148lbs/"), and be able to haul more weight. However, i like to go rock crawling, so i'm not sure if the overload would hinder flex.

i spoke to ARB, and the guy told me they would both net around the same lift, 2.5"+, but the light duty will be a bit stiffer empty. he also said the HD's overload is somewhat straight and there's a possibility of getting hung up on something.

i really only have my 60lb spare in back, and when i go camping, mite carry 150-200 lbs. tow a trailer twice a year..
I installed OME HD+overload + and OME AAL wanting 4.5lift...ended with 5.5lift and a very very stiff ride..excesive.... so I removed the AAL and installed a longer than stock shackle still limited flex but nicer ride...I go crawling once in a while and no issues with the overload so far....I'm considering on installing a shackle relocation bracket to improve the shackle angle...its is vertical..
Old June 1st, 2012, 14:27
NAXJA Forum User

awesome info man, thanks!

i already have the shackle relos, and i have a .75" lift shackle only to avoid hitting the shackle box w/the stock shackle. if the overload doesnt really keep the tire from flexing close to the body, than that may be what i want.

would be nice to have a slightly softer ride empty, than the LD leafs.
Old July 7th, 2012, 22:33
NAXJA Forum User

wanted to update.. i ordered the ome ld leafs, and installed them last week. they ride freakin awesome! i ended up getting about 2.25" of lift. my only concern is that they are sitting flat already. will have to see how they hold up in the next month..
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:08
NAXJA Forum User

I had a set of them, installed them, crossed the rubicon, and they were done... at least they replaced them under warranty, no questions asked. not even a proof of purchase which shocked me, it did take 12 weeks but i got the replacements and sold them. I installed some BDS springs so i did not need them...
Old August 1st, 2013, 14:28
NAXJA Forum User

well, a little over a year (and 3000 miles later), my OME LDs are dead. The springs are flat, and the main leaf is actually starting to bend backwards. I contacted ARB, waiting to see what they can do. My rear has sagged about .5" from new. Not a huge deal, but I don't like that leaf bending backwards.

Old August 1st, 2013, 18:21
NAXJA Forum User

I also have the hd dual rate leafs and netted around 3.5". Ride is a bit rough but I don't mind it. My shackle is completely vertical so once I get the shackle replicators and new shackles it should hopefully be smoother and more flex. I carry around 200 lbs in the trunk and haven't noticed any sag in the 2 years they have been installed.
Old August 1st, 2013, 18:23
NAXJA Forum User

Shackle relocators. Auto correct wins again....
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
well, a little over a year (and 3000 miles later), my OME LDs are dead. The springs are flat, and the main leaf is actually starting to bend backwards. I contacted ARB, waiting to see what they can do. My rear has sagged about .5" from new. Not a huge deal, but I don't like that leaf bending backwards.

That's what happened to my OME packs. Except, I think I got almost 2 years out of mine.

If you look at the way the pack is assembled it becomes apparent that a main leaf failure is inevitable. The secondary leaf just isn't long enough. There's too much leverage on the rear of the leaf, and once the main fatigues it's all over.

I went with RE 3.5 leafs for replacements. Believe it or not, they seem to be a much higher quality spring.