NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 11th, 2017, 12:20
NAXJA Member

Re: HD Shackle Relocation brackets rubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthelegend View Post
Those are Boostwerks comp shackles, they've got a flex joint instead of a bushing. I'm running the same shackles and relocation brackets on my jeep and haven't noticed any rubbing, will go take a closer look when I get home to see if I notice anything different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
the whole point of the boostwerk shackles is to allow the shackle to misalign. bushings in a normal shackle are constantly fighting this misalignment.

you do have another option... trim or grind away where it rubs.

I know they are boostwerks...and I know they have a flex joint up top and I know why.

I am talking about how you had to pull the ends in to get it tight on the spring.....boostwerks or not, the ends of the shackle should be straight, not bent in.

The fact they they are bent in makes me reconsider getting them if that is how they are gonna work.
Old September 11th, 2017, 12:29
NAXJA Forum User

what do you mean by bent in exactly?

i see the bushing in the leaf spring deflecting... but maybe what ever else you are seeing is an illusion?

my boostwerk shackles are square and true. they fit the sleeve in the bushing well.
Old September 11th, 2017, 12:34
NAXJA Member

post 11, 1st pic, it looks like the ends of the shackle are pulled in to meet the spring bushing because the shackle end & the spring eye aren't parallel.

I was thinking maybe he got a set for a full size truck that was wider on the spring eye end.

DUH !...OK, I looked at the WHOLE HUGE GARGANTUANLY MASSIVE pic, and now see what's going on.

Last edited by TRCM; September 11th, 2017 at 12:42.
Old September 11th, 2017, 12:45
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post

DUH !...OK, I looked at the WHOLE HUGE GARGANTUANLY MASSIVE pic, and now see what's going on.

which quadrant are you looking in?

lol. massive photo is massive.
Old September 11th, 2017, 19:18
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
post 11, 1st pic, it looks like the ends of the shackle are pulled in to meet the spring bushing because the shackle end & the spring eye aren't parallel.

I was thinking maybe he got a set for a full size truck that was wider on the spring eye end.

Yeah, sorry about that. I thought pics would be resized by the forum's software. Seems like that used to be the case, but maybe not.
Old September 16th, 2017, 11:20
NAXJA Forum User

Why dont you just move the shackles into one of the bottom holes instead of the top ones? Looks like that would solve everything.
Old September 16th, 2017, 20:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
Why dont you just move the shackles into one of the bottom holes instead of the top ones? Looks like that would solve everything.
That's what I ended up doing. The reason neither of us wanted to do so is the added height. I went up a full inch, but some portion of that is due to an empty gas tank. I'll prime the spots that were rubbing and put it through its paces next weekend, but think this is the sweet spot. Wish it didn't mean I need to spring for a SYE, the ACOS to level the front, and can't fit in my parking garage!

The spring eye bushings aren't in great shape. This plus the binding of the bracket resulted in a fair amount of deflection:

Last edited by Blindtheft; September 16th, 2017 at 20:39.