NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 10th, 2011, 06:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 94 XJ having problems unlocking and opening door

Ok cool i will tackle the new hinges this week
Old February 19th, 2011, 15:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme XJ View Post
Kastein !!! DUDE ! YOU ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the door unlatching trick !!! OH !MY HELL !!! I'm a big SOB & being stuffed in the back seat for 45 mins. in 100* temps. really got to me...
SO and should our paths cross... the first TWO are on me

Curt
No kidding! My drivers front door has been stuck closed for a week! I have been messing with it for the last hour and finally came in to search ! Lo and behold, Kastien's trick worked!!!!!! Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2015, 18:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
I had this exact issue on my 96 when I got it - I assume you already tried pushing on the linkages inside the door, not the tiny little lever on the actual latch mechanism?

If I'm correct - you can unlock your door by reaching back to the actual latch mechanism inside the door, right by the jamb, and feeling for a small metal tab approximately 1/4" tall sticking out of the mechanism. Push up on it. If you get the right one, the door will pop open, locked or not. It's easier to visualize what you're doing if you go to a junkyard and pull the latch mechanism out of a door and look at it - a *lot* of the latch mechanisms in the early 90s XJs got corroded to the point that the lock slider in the mechanism jams, from what I found online. Team Cherokee sells the mechanism you want for $45 and I believe discountjeepparts has them for $35 (theirs are off right-hand-drive Cherokees, so order the "opposite" from the one you want, in your case, order a passenger side one)

I'll see if I can find my old latch mechanism and post some pictures for you.
Man this saved my ass. 0 Degrees outside, dark, and my door won't lock closed. So I grab a screw driver and try to work the locking mechanism to see if it's jammed. Well then it pops to the locked position and won't move. Great so now my door is stuck open and the lock won't unlock. Pulled the panel and messed around with the linkage with no luck.

Then I saw your post, found the button, and the door works 100%. Thank you sir.
Old January 8th, 2018, 15:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
I had this exact issue on my 96 when I got it - I assume you already tried pushing on the linkages inside the door, not the tiny little lever on the actual latch mechanism?

If I'm correct - you can unlock your door by reaching back to the actual latch mechanism inside the door, right by the jamb, and feeling for a small metal tab approximately 1/4" tall sticking out of the mechanism. Push up on it. If you get the right one, the door will pop open, locked or not. It's easier to visualize what you're doing if you go to a junkyard and pull the latch mechanism out of a door and look at it - a *lot* of the latch mechanisms in the early 90s XJs got corroded to the point that the lock slider in the mechanism jams, from what I found online. Team Cherokee sells the mechanism you want for $45 and I believe discountjeepparts has them for $35 (theirs are off right-hand-drive Cherokees, so order the "opposite" from the one you want, in your case, order a passenger side one)

I'll see if I can find my old latch mechanism and post some pictures for you.
Thank you so much! I locked my drivers side door and it would not open?? Been crawling out my passenger side door for a week now. Quite embarrassing. I have an 1990 2 door XJ and it took less than 3 minutes to get it unlocked. I someone said he has the first two beers for you. I have the next 4
Old January 13th, 2018, 14:38
NAXJA Forum User

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Haha shit, I'm just glad people are still finding this info useful. I'd forgotten I even posted that, 9 years ago... Almost had to use it myself a few weeks ago when my 88 MJs door was having a bad day.