• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped Bolt... help

That seems to be a difficult place to have a striped out bolt.

There isn't alot of options for it! Lets get a pic of what you are dealing with to better assist. You may have to roll your Jeep back and forth a lil so you can get a better bite on it!

Just tough to turn?

Maybe not stripped but corroded?

Hose it down with penetrating oil, wait a while, then try working it a little back and forth.

They do use loctite on those bolts from the factory. Sometimes hard to break loose for me but once turning they come out nicely. At least if you break one of those up top it won't be stuck in the transfer case yoke, it will be stuck in the double cardan of the driveshaft. Then you could drill it out and tap or whatever. A bit easier than dealing with that yoke on the vehicle! Unless you don't really mind removing yokes....

Do you mean you stripped the head of the bolt or the threads?

The head is stripped to the point that the 8mm wrench slips on it. On the other hand I can fit a 8mm socket on it and its fairly snug but theres no room actualy turn it with the socket wrench.

Ah yes, I've had that problem. I couldn't even get a socket in there. I ended up sticking a 5/16 wrench on there and welding a bead across it. Had to chisel the weld once I got the bolt loose, though. I don't believe the bolts had a shoulder or step, so you might be able to just dremel the head off.

It sucks having so little room, and the only thing that fits is a tiny little box wrench. I had even worse luck on these same bolts on a Nissan Frontier. They used some serious locktite on those! It took a 4-ft cheater bar long enough to stick out from the vehicle so I could jump up and down on it. Turned out the u-joint in the shaft was never greased at the factory.

Ah yes, I've had that problem. I couldn't even get a socket in there. I ended up sticking a 5/16 wrench on there and welding a bead across it. Had to chisel the weld once I got the bolt loose, though. I don't believe the bolts had a shoulder or step, so you might be able to just dremel the head off.

It sucks having so little room, and the only thing that fits is a tiny little box wrench. I had even worse luck on these same bolts on a Nissan Frontier. They used some serious locktite on those! It took a 4-ft cheater bar long enough to stick out from the vehicle so I could jump up and down on it. Turned out the u-joint in the shaft was never greased at the factory.

So you would suggest cutting off the head of the bolt and drill it the bolt out once I get it off the Jeep?

So you would suggest cutting off the head of the bolt and drill it the bolt out once I get it off the Jeep?

Actually I'd suggest trying to weld on a nut or cutting off the bolt head, taking the strap out and hopefully having enough to grab with vicegrips or again.... welding on a nut.

Cut the head off flush. You might have to give the double cardan a whack or two but it should come out. Probably have enough sticking out to grab with a pair of vice-grips. I've cut a few rounded bolt heads in my time and usually the stub that is left unscrews pretty easily.

NAPA would probably have a suitable replacement. 5/16-24 x 1-1/4 inches should work. It's should be a grade-8, as indicated by the six hash marks on the end of the bolt. My parts catalog shows Chrylser part number 6036147AA. About $1 mail order so maybe $3 at the dealers parts counter if they have it in stock.

Back