• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moisture in 95 XJ valve cover pcv valve line? not in oil though??

95cherjustin

NAXJA Forum User
Ive replaced head gasket on this motor a year ago but has been fine ever since. As of a month ago i am getting foamy white oil water mixture not oil coolan its water in the pcv valve catchter that i built to catch blow buy. In summer time it fills up every month but its winter here in pa and there is water not green coolant mixed with oil in the catcher??

Oil is clean, oil cap is clean, breather on valve cover is clean just pcv??

I have in intake manifold leak that is getting fixed soon with the newer intake 2000 manifold since it has to come out anyways.

Any ideas of what the deal might be??

maybe things didnt seal up properly when you did the head gasket. test for a head gasket leak with a block tester. if you dont have one, its available at NAPA for cheap.

Is this a DD? To you make short trips, idle a long time, etc? The reason that I am asking is that it is normal to get some moisture in the system that is normally burned off when the engine has been ran for a while, but may accumulate with short trips. Do you have any pics of this PCV valve catcher? I am interested in what you have rigged up for diagnostic reasons and for my own curiosity.

It is driven 10 minutes to work and sits all day till 2pm then 1 miute up the road to parents to eat off again on again after lunch 1 minute back to work. then 6 pm back home 10 15 minute ride. never on for more than 15 minutes. summer time was fine but winter adds more moisture right??

Too short to burn off. Warm up the jeep to operating temp, pull over and shut it off, pull out the dipstick and feel the oil temp, you will know what I mean, but yet again I would have to see pics to say if that is the answer or not.

Short trips promote a bit of moisture in the crankcase, it doesn't get burnt off because the engine doesn't get super hot...it may just be condensing more because of the colder tempuratures or something. I'm not very good at explaining these things, but I'm pretty sure that's your problem..and someone else might be able to come through with a better explanation of what I'm trying to say.

Another possibility is that your 'catch bottle' is getting warm and condensing moisture in there somehow. I'm no scientist but if you think about it, you'll see what I mean. hot air travelling through 'catch bottle' + colder outside air = more condensation, no?

correct, ill take pics of the catcher. it has not over heated and runs cool all the time so i think its just condensation becuase last time the head gasket blew it was in the oil

X2 with 88 Wagonman. I've had the same issues with condensation but since I started driving 30-40 minutes to work it has not been an issue. In the breather system, PVC, and oil filler cap, I used to get a white foamy oil/water accumulation. It doesn't seem to cause any real harm but an occasional run on the highway for 20-30 minutes would help it to "burn" off the water.

Back