• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 dana 30 to 44 axle swap questions...

99 4.0 beast

NAXJA Forum User
my 99 xj has like a 6inch lift on it with a dana 30 in the rear

i have a 87 cherokee too that has a dana 44, i wanted to know if anyone knew if the gears would match up with the front axle from the 99 and the back axle of the 87 or would i have to swap both axles

also if u would know how much modification it will take to the axle to fit it under my jeep with its lift

In most cases an XJ with an auto has 3:55 gears and 5 speeds have 3:07 gears. If it is an auto to auto or manual to manual it will work, but if not you will need change the gears in one axel to match the other. There was a very small of stock XJ’s that came with 4:10’s, so getting under the jeep to make sure is a smart thing. My front Dana 30 had the gear ratio stamped in the cover so it could be an easy check.

Well, I didnt know they made a dana 30 rear in cherokees, and as far as swapping a 44 out of a cherokee into another cherokee, it will fit fine, but you will need to count the teeth on the gears to see if it has the same ratio. Good luck
If you search for axles you will find many write ups on swapping axles.

You do not have a Dana 30 rear. They were never made that way.

To check the gears, see if they still have the identification tags on them.

The D44 should have 3.54 gears, as that is what most came with. Your Dana 30 FRONT, will more and likley have 3.55 gears, IF you have an auto. If it is a stick, you will have 3.07 gears.

If you are still confused about it all, remove both diff covers, and count the teeth on the ring gear and pinion. Divide them to see what you get.

Check the faq for your diff type. You either have a D35 or Chrysler 8.25 (most likely). You could lift both rear ends and see how many times it takes to spin the driveshaft to turn a tire around once. The difference between 3, 3.5, and 4 are big enough to tell the difference. The sure way is to count the teeth though.

I was getting ready to say, a 99 with a D30 in the rear??? That's crazy!

Mine's a 99 with the 8.25.. And that's most likely what you have too.

99 4.0 beast said:
haha yeah i dont know why i wrote i had a rear dana 30

i guess ill just could the teeth its the only way to be sure

And you could also learn to spell AND learn what is exactly in your Beast. Which I find cute. Stock gears, stock axles, a bit of lift and somehow it's a Beast? :wave1:

I had a dana 30 rear once.
I took that rear out for a ride one wild night... never gonna forget her...

Back