• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liberty disc brakes used for XJ brake conversion?

COTim

NAXJA Forum User
The concept of using rear disc brakes from a newer Liberty to complete a brake conversion on an XJ has been brought up in many posts, but I have not seen a DEFINITE answer anywhere.

Has anyone had any experience or discovered any information that confirms whether or not that this will work? I have a 1997 Jeep XJ with a Chrysler 8.25" rear axle. The newest Jeep Liberty vehicles also switched to Chrysler 8.25" axles instead of the Dana 35, and that rig has some sweet disc brakes on it.

My lovely wife just brought home her brand-new 2007 Liberty today, but it will be some time before I can tear her new Jeep apart to see if its brakes will fit on my XJ. Guess that I'll have to slip her a margarita with a mickey or something to buy myself some extra time to rip it apart. Thought that maybe the NAXJA crew would have some info that could give me a headstart before I get myself in trouble.

Thanks!

I also thought about the possibility of using Liberty disks brakes. The other option I thought of was using WJ disks brakes. I know the stud spacing is different to the XJ's but if the internals and calipers are similar to the other disk brake conversions, I guess one can just substitute the disks with ZJ disks and use all the other parts? Anyone know if that is possible?

gorman said:
I also thought about the possibility of using Liberty disks brakes. The other option I thought of was using WJ disks brakes. I know the stud spacing is different to the XJ's but if the internals and calipers are similar to the other disk brake conversions, I guess one can just substitute the disks with ZJ disks and use all the other parts? Anyone know if that is possible?

With how new libertys are, I doubt it'd be cost effective to track down brakes from those rather than to just do the common ZJ swap.

I've heard of others swapping to WJ calipers in the front, I don't see why you couldn't do the typical ZJ swap and just use WJ calipers for the rear, but I'm also not sure that the bolt patterns for the calipers are the same...

send her away for a bit!

a day at the spa would do the job for like $100!

the biggest problem would be the 5" on 5 lug pattern as mentioned. i suppose they could be redrilled...

sometimes you can get the auto parts guys to show you the books with all of the rotor applications. you may be able to get one to pull some liberty and zj rotors off the shelf so you can see for yourself if they are exactly the same diameter and thickness. if so than this would be a cool swap for those with 8.25s.

The advantage of using the KJ backing plates is they don't have to be modified for the bigger 8.25 axle shafts like the ZJ ones do. The issue will be finding a junkyard that will allow you to pull parts from a pretty new axle that they tend to like to sell as complete.

RichP said:
The advantage of using the KJ backing plates is they don't have to be modified for the bigger 8.25 axle shafts like the ZJ ones do. The issue will be finding a junkyard that will allow you to pull parts from a pretty new axle that they tend to like to sell as complete.

Random thought, do these things come in the ABS equipped rigs? Be a nice mod for those with ABS on the XJ that don't really want to get rid of it, but definitely want to ditch the 35.

91 Jeep Project said:
Random thought, do these things come in the ABS equipped rigs? Be a nice mod for those with ABS on the XJ that don't really want to get rid of it, but definitely want to ditch the 35.
if you have an 8.25 in the rear of your XJ already, you won't have ABS in the rear to begin with, so the tone rings are moot.

I have access to the CAD files of the libby rear axle brake parts. If there are any dimensions you want just let me know.

gregmondro said:
if you have an 8.25 in the rear of your XJ already, you won't have ABS in the rear to begin with, so the tone rings are moot.
You might want to read this once more!

Originally Posted by 91 Jeep Project

gregmondro said:
Invest in a dremel. Enlarging the ZJ backing plates is easy as pie.

Yeah, honing out both the plates took me all of 30 mins, and $6 worth of dremel grinding stones.

At this point I'll re-state my "not cost effective" post.

I got my swap for less than $300, parking brake included. If you want to dream, talk about KJ brakes, if you just want 4-wheel disc brakes on your XJ, and you want it done within a day, I'd say look no further. If I recall I was around $320 even counting small parts like wheel studs, locktite for the bracket nuts, RTV for the diff for removing the c-clips, gear oil for same...

Not saying it wouldn't be cool, but unless the KJ calipers provide a significant advantage over the ZJ ones (size, piston, something I'm missing), I can't imagine why you'd even consider it (other than the saved half hour of dremeling). If you can find KJ parts for anywhere near the price of zj ones in 30 mins, more power to ya. Otherwise, if you'd spent that time dremeling, you'd be out driving your hot new 4-wheel disc XJ....

Bender said:
I have access to the CAD files of the libby rear axle brake parts. If there are any dimensions you want just let me know.

Could you provide a parts list for the swap? I know calipers, caliper brackets, discs, pads but am unsure of the parking brake assembly.

Slo-Sho said:
It may work as long as the number of teeth on the rear ABS tone ring matches that of the fronts, and the sensor is the same.

I believe the tone ring on the KJ 8.25 is a single one in the diff, not the two wheel speed sensor type on an XJ D35.

I haven't done the swap so I'm not sure on a parts list. I just have a CAD model of the complete axle.

English XJ said:
Could you provide a parts list for the swap? I know calipers, caliper brackets, discs, pads but am unsure of the parking brake assembly.

I believe the tone ring on the KJ 8.25 is a single one in the diff, not the two wheel speed sensor type on an XJ D35.
someone had posted the solution in mod tech, I believe he did an 8.25 swap and kept the ABS.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73521&highlight=8.25+tone+ring

the 8.25 has a sensor ring located in the center of the differential just like the 8.8, it is possible to keep it though in theory going off the write up for keeping the abs with an 8.8

the 8.25 has 106 thooth count where where xj have a 51 tooth count if you were to grind down every other tooth on the 8.25 you would get 53 theeth not enough to cause a difference so then you would just wire up the two sensor wires to the single sensor on the 8.25

i maybe going this route, or i may do the 8.8 havent decided yet

Back