• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back-up lights

JeffU

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 Xj with automatic . I have no back-up lights. Unless I am missing it there is no fuse listed in the owners manual specific to back-up lights. I searched the forum past posts and realize I may have a NSS issue, but would like to eliminate the fuse question before tackling that project.
Can someone tell me the fuse loacation/number ?
Thanks,
Jeff
Atl,GA

Have you checked the bulbs yet? My junk seems to break the bulbs and not pop the fuses.

Um, I think he was referring to a reverse lamp bulb, rather than a headlamp...

I use Night Watcher 50W incandescent bulbs, a direct replacement for #1156, in both my reverse lamps and my turn signals. If you ask around at your local, you might find something similar.

I'd not use a "halogen" #1156 bulb - they'd get too hot, and I haven't bothered to figure out how to modify the housing to allow for cooling yet...

5-90

Hey guys. I know it may be a big deal to some of you about how bright your back up lights are. But how about some help just getting mine to work.

Do any of you know if the back up lights are fused ? There is no listing for them in the owners manual.

I have checked the bulbs and they are fine. I did get them to come on once, but they have stopped again.

Is it probably the NSS needing cleaning ?

If you've got the AW4, your NSS probably wants cleaning. The only change I'd make to the writeups out there would be to put your hands in a bag of some sort before you split the switch halves - there are two very small terminals in there, and they can go flying (don't ask how I know...)

If it's a manual, then just replace the thing. It should be cheap enough. It just unscrews and screws back in - use some Teflon tape or pipe dope to keep the oil in.

Search around here for my tips on removing the NSS - I've done that job a few times, and I've still got to do a full write-up...

5-90

I read the write up on the two springs. My only question is that I could not tell where they went in the reassembly.

I really should pull one and tear it to bits, so I can take pics of reassembly.

The springs go into little round holes on the "wiper arm," and then the two contact terminals fit over the springs - the springs are there to make sure that the contacts are pressed against the copper arcs in the case half.

I'll also have to take the switch apart, so I can measure the contacts again. I used to have a drawing, so I can make some more replacements.

5-90

so what happenes when it is not your NSS? I replaced mine and I still do not have back-up lights. I tested the position ofr the NSS with a multi and it is working. Anyone have a suggestion. I checked the bulbs and the looked good. I will pull them out again just to make sure but in the meantime... anyone Bueller...Bueller???/

wulf711 said:
so what happenes when it is not your NSS? I replaced mine and I still do not have back-up lights. I tested the position ofr the NSS with a multi and it is working. Anyone have a suggestion. I checked the bulbs and the looked good. I will pull them out again just to make sure but in the meantime... anyone Bueller...Bueller???/

Start looking for the fuse. I had a problem where the fuse was corroded. I had +12volts at the backup switch, but it disappeared whenever it was in reverse.

For cleaning the NSS, here are two good writeups
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
http://jeepin.com/features/nss/

Back