• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 Low Range does not disengage

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,
On my way home today I needed my 4x4, going up a steep icy hill the 99 xj was in low range. When I made it into my driveway I attempted to disengage and the lever refused to move. I attempted disengagement in park, reverse, stationary in drive, and moving about 10mph in drive. I also tried when the xj was parked and off. The transfer case has always been in great condition however low range has never been easy to engage in the 9 years it has been with me. Anyone know how I can fix the system or get it out of low range?

The situation has resolved itself, the xj needed to be rolling very slowly and put in neutral then it disengages no problem. It ended up being a bad case of the windup.

For future reference:

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

Back