• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounting on board air tank?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
any ideas?
recently cleared out the cargo area of my xj, getting ready for a d&c cage install, I kind of like the area clear. I have the battery mounted in the back, already have a compressor and tank, but debating leaving the compressor/tank out to give me more room. Any creative thoughts on where I can mount the tank without it getting in the way?
I'm open to keeping the compressor in the back, but the tank is just too big.

Maybe mounting it to the rear cross bar of the cage once it's in?

how big is the tank? might be able to squeeze it inside the quarter panel if its small enough

it's a 5 gallon tank, but willing to get a smaller one.
The panel on the passenger side in the cargo area is already home to a sub-woofer :)

wonder if someone could make you a custom one to go in there and follow up over the wheel arch in the quarter panel (if that makes sense to you) that would be a slick hookup

wonder if someone could make you a custom one to go in there and follow up over the wheel arch in the quarter panel (if that makes sense to you) that would be a slick hookup

huh, that's a decent idea. That shouldn't be too hard to fabricate.
Still debating possibly getting a smaller tank, and mounting it on the on one of the upper portions of the roll cage, whenever I get it in.

Don't know if you have a spare tire carrier, this is what I did, its only 2.5 gal though...Thats when I had 30" tires, now with the 33" spare its completely covered.
IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5464.jpg

I really like that -- what'd you do, just mount with u-bolts?
I do have a tire carrier, just not sure I have a bar going across the top like you do.

You have a build thread for your LS swap? Always curious to see other chevy swaps...

Once you get the cage in you can probably get a better idea. I'm thinking something like that 2.5 gal tank mounted to the d Piller down bar might work nicely. Or a long skinny tank mounted right behind the rear seat.

If you fabricate rock rails out of 2X6X.25, they give you something like 2.5gal each. Plumb them together, boom- 5 gallons.

EDIT: checked my math- 3/16 wall:
-subtract the wall DIM from OD to get ID:
2"= 1.625
6"= 5.625

figure a 64" length (someone check that, I don't have an XJ handy at the moment)
1.625x5.625x64= 594 (cubic inches)
Times two (one left, one right - 1188ci

Google "cubic inches in a gallon"= 231

1188/231= 5.142857142857143

So call it 5 gallons, close enough.

Last edited:
If you fabricate rock rails out of 2X6X.25, they give you something like 2.5gal each. Plumb them together, boom- 5 gallons.

2"= 1.625
6"= 5.625

figure a 64" length (someone check that, I don't have an XJ handy at the moment)

This is exactly what I did, just on the driver's side though, didn't plumb them together, but could easily be done.
Works great, doesn't leak one bit.
Put a ball valve upstream in case I rip the tube open on a rock, I would still be able to use the compressor without the tank.

I did something similar between my rock rails and my uni-body rails. I used 2 small diameter medical oxygen bottles!

That all depends on the compressor. I run a York compressor and it cycles on and off when airing up using a 7gal tank with a 90/120 pressure switch. I run my 35’s at about 10psi and air them up to 25psi in about 45 seconds each

2"= 1.625
6"= 5.625

I don't know... pressurizing something that is designed to smash into rocks seems to me to be somethign that should go into the "questionable idea" bucket :)

Back