• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

expedition trailer build question

comrad_zeelaagee

NAXJA Forum User
i know someone here will have the info i am looking for. someone may even know where i can find one for cheap :D.

my wish is to construct a expedition trailer from a truck bed. i have seen older chevy model beds with removable fenders that leave a bare bucket. i think 60-66? that's what i want- in the short bed flavor- so that affixing homebrew flat fenders and other items to the outside is simple and easy.

i don't know what model years these were available. as of yet, i've only seen them in gmc/chev. models, but maybe ford or dodge had similar?

do the fleet side fenders some off in the same way the step side fenders do- exposing the bare bucket beneath?

thanks for the help guys.

andy

on newer trucks you would be left with a pretty weak bed the sides offer a lot of rigidity when my Dad gets up Ill ask him what year his chevy was but it had the bed your talking about where the fenders were just bolt on

1947-1955-chevrolet-trucks-1950.jpg

1947-55 chevy

Last edited:
Personally I say it's too wide (not to mention I would molest a collectable bed). I love my M416 on the trail because it's slightly narrower than a stock XJ, what that means is that is corners exactly behind my Jeep. The only downside is that it's a pain in the ass to back up.

Personally I say it's too wide (not to mention I would molest a collectable bed). I love my M416 on the trail because it's slightly narrower than a stock XJ, what that means is that is corners exactly behind my Jeep. The only downside is that it's a pain in the ass to back up.

i'd love to have a old school military trailer... that would be ideal. but they're a pain to find, even harder to find in decent shape for a reasonable price... but i'll keep looking.

i understand not wanting to molest a collectable bed- but are there other options on the cheap? :dunno: my other thought was building a steel frame with an alum. diamond plate bucket- a custom build, but i'm pretty sure that's waaaay out of the budget at this time.

I kinda doubt a custom build will be much more expensive then the bed route with that particular bed. Just try to hook up with somebody here who can help you if you need it and pick up some sheetmetal and build the exact box you want.

I can help you build a trailer like the M416. The willys overland pickup bed is pretty close to the same dimentions as the military trailers and the fenders are removable and not structural. Finding one in decent shape can be a bit of a challenge but i have seen two in the junk yards in the last month.

This would be a good start. 4x6 with removeable front and rear gates. Also has 31's and a portal axle. Side mount tool boxes will be included too, they just need to be mounted.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=972183&highlight=trailer

tempting indeed- but the boss is unlikely to go for it right now. cash is tight- this is a long term, piece by piece project i'm looking to do. i do appreciate you looking out for me though. that would be awesome as a base. i'll pm you if i can get it going.
:cheers:

AHH.....please DON'T HURT ME! this is my 49 chevy pickup, it would be a shame.
l_1c63493052bcc7bb260cb549d0be18ed.jpg

jesse

i don't really care about going vintage per se... i just want something that will work and have a flat exterior for affixing jerry cans, hi-lift, etc.

btw- that's puerrrrrrrrrdy!

Oh yeah, id rock a Forward control, with 37"s and dana 60's all the way around. mmmm me likey

Phase I
Get it towable... and legal...
I'm close...
The starting point...
2zpimaq.jpg

9rrb54.jpg

15s1mqq.jpg

2yv8hew.jpg

5kqf43.jpg

242ekuf.jpg

The end of the day !!! Get'n close...

Curt

extreme- that's a massive frame you put together... why?

It's really not THAT massive... it's 3"X4"X 8th. the frame is 3+"X 5+"(I think... maybe more)... I actually wanted 3/16th., but after seeing the weight difference I went with 8th." The two sections that are inserted into the frame go all the way back to where the frame turns up and welded in several spots... the center square tubing will run the entire length of the bed and tie the tongue to the bottom of the bed and the rear bumper...
Why... cause it'll probably get beat on I hope it's tough enough...

Curt

Back