• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

La v8 swap

kippo1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. I am getting ready to start buying stuff to do the swap over the winter.

For those of you that have done it what are some problems you ran into or things you would do different. I'm looking at a 6.0 swap. I have access to i think it's a 04 2500 4x4 with a 6.0.

I just don't want to buy something I should not have or not get something I need. I know I have seen photos of problems with hood clearance and I do want to keep a.c.

yeah, I figured it out....just made me think for a second someone was gonna do an old style small block build.

kinda wish I still had my old 360...it'd have been a good one to swap in. Had some goodies in it, and based on track numbers/weight, it was ~ 450 hp.

Pretty much all of our LS swap threads have a ton of information about what we did and what we would change. I read the entire 5.3 swap thread on Pirate4x4 and multiple LS swap threads on here. There weren't many when I started my swap but since then there have been 3-4 successful swaps with build threads on NAXJA

I'm just a little confused. Some threads state the 6.0 truck manifold will not clear hood. Other says swap truck for car manifold and use access. Drive off corvette. Others say corvette accesorie drive will not clear frame rail. Some say it will. I haven't seen a specific one that mentions retaining the a.c.. unless I read passed it and just missed it.

Truck intake will not clear the hood, you are correct. Corvette intake will clear the hood but the stock accessories wont, which can be fixed with aftermarket products (see my sig). Check your local laws first to see what is allowed. I think your biggest challenge will be motor fitment. The heads and manifolds fill be a tough fit with the 6.0. The stock a/c should work (it did on my 5.3), stock Corvette p/s pump wont fit, it is too wide. Check out kwik LS brackets.

Truck intake will not clear the hood, you are correct. Corvette intake will clear the hood but the stock accessories wont, which can be fixed with aftermarket products (see my sig). Check your local laws first to see what is allowed. I think your biggest challenge will be motor fitment. The heads and manifolds fill be a tough fit with the 6.0. The stock a/c should work (it did on my 5.3), stock Corvette p/s pump wont fit, it is too wide. Check out kwik LS brackets.

Why would it be any harder to fit a 6.0 in over a 5.3 ??

They are the same block & heads, and I don't see the exhaust being bigger enough to make a difference.

Awesome thanks. Checking out your Sig now.

Stock a.c. as in stock jeep or stock 6.0 ac?

Why would it be any harder to fit a 6.0 in over a 5.3 ??

They are the same block & heads, and I don't see the exhaust being bigger enough to make a difference.
I was under the impression that the 6.0 had a larger block. Since I barely have 1/2" in some places (with the 5.3) I didn't think a 6.0 would be an easy fit.
Awesome thanks. Checking out your Sig now.

Stock a.c. as in stock jeep or stock 6.0 ac?
Stock 5.3. It powers my on board air system.

I also have a second compressor for a/c which is all custom, the only Jeep component is the evaporator.

I was under the impression that the 6.0 had a larger block. Since I barely have 1/2" in some places (with the 5.3) I didn't think a 6.0 would be an easy fit.

I know they are different material, but I thought they were the same physical size, just different bore & stroke to give the different cid.

Ok. I am getting ready to start buying stuff to do the swap over the winter.

For those of you that have done it what are some problems you ran into or things you would do different. I'm looking at a 6.0 swap. I have access to i think it's a 04 2500 4x4 with a 6.0.

I just don't want to buy something I should not have or not get something I need. I know I have seen photos of problems with hood clearance and I do want to keep a.c.

I can close my hood with A/c no problem. I used LSsimple brackets and a 90s era truck compressor. And I was assuming you were talking about an LS, my bad. Good luck.

Back