• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hey socal i need some lift suggestions and guidance

besthaticouldo

NAXJA Forum User
so knowing cali has different conditions then most places...i wanted your guys suggestions on my lift ideas and maybe some help as to what i need or dont need and how i should approach this. it will be used as a DD with some light traffic and shit.

i have been thinking a 3-3.5.

so i have been doing some research and some talking to people and have come up with this.

- 3.5 Rubicon Express Super Ride Kit with Rear Springs
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2018&XnPath=173,180,188&Vid=88EF4E7243642

- Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks for 4in Lift
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Bi...016QQitemZ260278368830QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

after that is all installed i was thinking of getting a trac bar and sway bar discos. but those are down the line. this is primarily a DD, so it needs to perform well on the street as well as off road.

as for tires. i wanna run 31x10.50x15s. i was wondering if you guys had some good tire suggestions for me that i could get that would last a good while in socal weather and terrain. thanks guys!

RE 3.5 is a great kit; remember you'll need a trac bar too so you don't have to drill a new trac bar mount. I'd go for the superflex; ride quality isn't bad and it will come with the discos too. Go 5150's for the Bilstiens.

If its your DD I'd go with BFG All Terrains.

I would ask the question do you plan on wheeling a grip ? cause if you do the guys that I know wish they went bigger 5.5 and so on in the long run

my2cents

That is my exact setup only I went with the RE monotube shocks.
I currently run 31x10.50 BFG AT. They are great on the street and do the job OK on the trail. The sidewalls seem to be a weak point if you do any rock crawling.
It's my daily driver too and I am very pleased with this setup.
I use the stock trac bar and just drilled a new mounting hole per the RE instructions.
I would recommend adding the sway bar discos sooner than later.
But really ask yourself what you want to do with your Jeep.
Cause after 2 years of this I am now ready to move on...I mean up.
After saying how happy I am with my setup I still went out and bought 4.5" coils for the front and 4 7100 series Bilstein remote res shocks that are currently sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.
3.5 is a very good first step.
Let me know if you want to see any pics.
Remember..think then act

go big now and call it done. 4.5 or higher, both of mine sit at 5 or 6 ish. It will run you a little more but it's worth it. I have changed so much stuff numerous times ,control arms, leafs, spacers, shocks, and other stuff.

I used to DD my 89 to ontario and back (25 miles each way) now it sits in my garage with no t-case in it. Now I DD my 2000, well only a few days a week because I carpool with some other people.

Save your money and buy good parts, then when you get everything together lift it. Check the for sale section, alot of times you can find stuff for cheap, then piece it together that way

Justin

X2 take your time dont rush it, go big you'll thank us in the long run. Curt we got to slap those Bilsteins in !!!!

It also depends on what kind of wheelin you want to do.....

Jeepspeed stuff?

Rock crawlin?

or both?...Tony's rig fits perfectly in this catagory

Justin

it will be mostly DD. it will be taken camping. i dont wanna go bigger then 3.5 inches because my 5'3 fiance is pregnant and she too will be driving this and i dont want her to struggle getting into it. it will also be the families primary vehicle. i cant ever seen going higher then 3.5. if and when i do i will address it then.

i dont plan on doing a lot of rock crawling.

im not 100% what jeepspeed is...lol excuse my newbness.

i just want a capable kit off road and something that is suitable for a DD rig.

baja curt...you sound pleased with it, at least for two years...which by then yea maybe ill want to move up, right now as my first lift 3.5 sounds great to me.

i was going to get discos probably 2-3 months after i did the lift and tires.

what trac bar is good? what do you guys suggest?

Kudos for not asking, "Which is the best lift kit?" and for doing your homework. :thumbup:

I agree.. You first need to figure out your long term plan. Then do it.

I'm running the RE 4.5" Super Flex kit with spacers up front on 33" MTs.

If I were to do it over, I would get the RE 3.5" Super Ride and stick with 31's or 30's. True, most people eventually want to go higher, but it was my daily driver and now I'm pretty close to making it my trail rig. I drive A LOT and think I would still keep it as my daily if it wasn't so tall and would drive smoother.

Remember that RE's kits are a bit higher than they say. The 4.5" sits about 5" to 5.25". I'm sure the 3.5" will sit at 3.75" or 4".

E

besthaticouldo said:
it will be mostly DD. it will be taken camping. i dont wanna go bigger then 3.5 inches because my 5'3 fiance is pregnant and she too will be driving this and i dont want her to struggle getting into it. it will also be the families primary vehicle. i cant ever seen going higher then 3.5. if and when i do i will address it then.

baja curt...you sound pleased with it, at least for two years...which by then yea maybe ill want to move up, right now as my first lift 3.5 sounds great to me.

It sounds like you found the right combo for you.

Jeeps are very capable rigs, stock. It's 90% the driver. There was a White all stock TJ, when we did Cleghorn last time backwards, who did the whole trail. Some guys with lifted Jeeps couldn't make some of the stuff.. ;)

E

besthaticouldo said:

2 years... you won't have it that long.

I had a blast on a 3" lift, but 5~ months later I'm stepping up to a lot bigger lift, around 6" and 33's

Here's my Jeep on 3" with 30's. Stock trac bar, and no SYE, I was fine.

l_2248fd59290d1034b3df5b3f444c3205.jpg

l_9522b5bc0cae69d68ae466d588b9b6be.jpg

l_81f13901fe13d4fe71ff7c6e44050d2a.jpg

crazyjim said:
As for being stock, I wheeled it stock as shit for a while... With no sway bars it does well. I ran all of cleghorn with just my front disconnected, except for the notch. Ran through the notch with my 3"

what about the snow Jim? :D

I guess it would be good to know how much you plan on spending MAX. It's easy to say "Get TnT long arms and Bilstein 9300's" but whats your budget.

BajaCurt, you running the 3.5 super ride not super flex?

I know Erikwylie had/has the 3.5 super ride, maybe he'll chime in.

Is it worth the money to go superflex over super ride?

XCM, what capabilities are added?

If you FOR sure want to stick with 3.5" I suggest ordering the RE 4.5" and having the shop switch out the 4.5" coils for the 3.5" coils... For what you get in the 4.5" kit versus the 3.5" kit, its more than worth it. You get, bumpstops, tracbar, upper control arms, brake lines, discos, and probably more that I'm not remembering for not much more than the 3.5" kit...

Back