• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP44 drum to disc conversion

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i got a hp44 and 9" for $500 out of an older bronco. they are both drum brakes. the guy also threw in the knuckles for disc and all the components for the disc conversion. i though it was a good deal... anyways how the hell do i get the drums off??

If you cant workout how to get the drums off, just curious as to how the heck are you going to get a FW HP44 under your XJ??:wow:

i got my ways. im gonna redo everything. I have a 8.8 in it now that i did but that was much easier in the rear. I installed new gears, shafts and everything for the brake assembly. The axles are a little rusty, they were sitting in the backyard of the guy i got them from. So instead of asking me questions of how im gonna install it, do you have any pointers?

im talking about the front brakes. i got a hp44 front brake assembly but its drum brakes. i have all the hardware to make it a disc conversion, but im not sure how to take the front drums off.

Remove the lockout selector by removing the 6 small allen head screws. I assume you did this as it's obvious.

There are 2 snap rings that need to be removed. The small on the end of the stub shaft is easy, spread the ends with snap ring pliers and pull it off.

The second one is hard to see and even harder to remove. It is around the inside of hub near the outer edge, it is large and round. Clean all the grease out of the end of the hub. Use two small screwdrivers and find the gap in the ring and pry it out. I use two dental picks.

Next put 2 of the allen head screws back in the locking mechanism (without the selector knob) and use them to pull it out.
If it's stock locking hubs there is a large spring between the selctor and the locking mechanism.

Next you remove the large locking nut, then the lock washer, and last is the adjusting nut.

At this point you can grab the drum/hub assembly and yank it off. The outer wheel bearing will fall out when you pull it off.

In the picture the snap rings are in the lower left corner between the locking hub selector and the locking mechanism.

d44-outers.jpg

Last edited:
thanks man ill get on it today..

well right now there are no locking hubs on the axle, he gave it to me with them off. and yes they were stock hubs. So i think i just need to clean the grease out and take the locking nut off? thats my guess. if needed i can get pics.. any other suggestions? thanks for your help.

This is what im looking at,
k40w6.jpg
it doesnt look like it is a nut, how do i get that out?

well that sucks, any other way to get the damn thing out? or ate they just to damn tight?

does anyone know on average how much they run? Im on a HUGE budget at the moment, i dont have a job and have been searching for 3 weeks. Just moved to Portland oregon, so i had to get all the utilities paid, new drivers license, just hektic the first month...

Smittty9785 said:
does anyone know on average how much they run? Im on a HUGE budget at the moment, i dont have a job and have been searching for 3 weeks. Just moved to Portland oregon, so i had to get all the utilities paid, new drivers license, just hektic the first month...

You should buy the 4 pronged socket. I've seen guys remove both nuts with a hammer and a screwdriver by using the screwdiver like a chisle and pushing the nut counter clockwise until it is lose enough to turn by hand, but it's not recommended.

Smittty9785 said:

Smittty9785 said:
Ok i got a hp44 and 9" for $500 out of an older bronco.

:confused:

That socket is maybe $15 at almost any auto parts place. You need that socket if you plan on using that axle.

ok well i guess i can wait, thanks for the info.

Jes said:
:confused:

That socket is maybe $15 at almost any auto parts place. You need that socket if you plan on using that axle.

I know, huh? :laugh: "I need to pay the bills and shit, so I can't afford a $15 tool for the axles I just bought for $500."

ive had the axles for 3 months or so before i moved. The moving plan started 1 month before i actually moved. I just had to get out of Cali

Back