• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i'm buying a Renix engine to rebuild $300

avnsteve

NAXJA Forum User
i've heard it run, no obvious sounds of impending doom. There is a jeep yard here in Austin, the guy has oodles and gobs of XJ's laying in various states of ruin. He's selling me this engine for $300, and he has 3 others for the same price. Given the fact that I'm going to rebuild it anyway, do you suppose this is a good deal? most i've found on line at places like partsdotcom want anywhere from five hundred and up, and those would be sight unseen. what say you?

I just picked up a renix from the u-pull-it for $125. I had to do all the wrenching, and they lifted it out and loaded it in my van. Hard to say which is better. For 300, you got to hear it run, whereas all I could do is turn it by hand to make sure nothing is siezed or busted inside. Either way, they are both getting torn down in the end. By the way, how many miles? I got this one with 160k on it.
Good luck with your project, and keep us updated!

avnsteve said:
approx 160k
Ahh, just a baby, like mine! Actually, the first engine I found at another u-pull-it had 125k on it, and if I had the time to unbolt it, the cost was $100. I didn't have the time to work on it, so I asked how much if they pulled it and the guy says "I have to charge you the regular salvage yard fee for an engine, $450.00 ". And that was without hearing it run either. Not worth it to me for a rebuild, but then again it may have just needed a tuneup and some seals. We'll never know, it probably got crushed by now...

Another yard around here has self searve engines @ $80, or they pull for 130. Of course, now that I want one, all they have been getting lately is 93 and up, no older stuff. But the point is, there are some deals out there, just have to hit them at the right time.

avnsteve said:
i've heard it run, no obvious sounds of impending doom. There is a jeep yard here in Austin, the guy has oodles and gobs of XJ's laying in various states of ruin. He's selling me this engine for $300, and he has 3 others for the same price. Given the fact that I'm going to rebuild it anyway, do you suppose this is a good deal? most i've found on line at places like partsdotcom want anywhere from five hundred and up, and those would be sight unseen. what say you?
You can do better than that if you aren't in a hurry. I sold a good Renix for $100 a few months back. I bought the who XJ for $500.

Why not rebuild an HO engine for your XJ. It's easy to adapt over and it will have more power. Just keep the Renix electronics. Plenty of info here on this type of swap.

Tom

I have absolutely no problem with the renix, I'm VERY familiar with them, and I figure to rebuild bone stock, if it worked on the first engine, it seems I should be able to get another 200Kmiles from this one built to the same or better standards. It's not going to be much more than a camping rig and grocery getter, I've broken more than my fair share of rigs on the trail and this one is not going to suffer that tragedy. I'm more in the market for dependability than "high performance". That's what my motorcycle is for!

scca28 said:
Ahh, just a baby, like mine! Actually, the first engine I found at another u-pull-it had 125k on it, and if I had the time to unbolt it, the cost was $100. I didn't have the time to work on it, so I asked how much if they pulled it and the guy says "I have to charge you the regular salvage yard fee for an engine, $450.00 ". And that was without hearing it run either. Not worth it to me for a rebuild, but then again it may have just needed a tuneup and some seals. We'll never know, it probably got crushed by now...

Another yard around here has self searve engines @ $80, or they pull for 130. Of course, now that I want one, all they have been getting lately is 93 and up, no older stuff. But the point is, there are some deals out there, just have to hit them at the right time.

are these yards in phillys. i usually go down to essington ave in philly to get parts but havent seen too many complete jeeps, 87-90.

89xj said:
are these yards in phillys. i usually go down to essington ave in philly to get parts but havent seen too many complete jeeps, 87-90.

Yeh, check out Shortys & Daves Truck U Pull It
http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3720555451

They had about 20 xj'x in a row and a few Commanches the last time I was there. Two bucks to get in, bring your own tools. All their vehicles are grouped by model. They give you a price list when you go in.

A bit farther away for you is Cresent U-Pull-It at Bristol and Tyburn Roads in Morrisville Pa. Kind of hit or miss on the xj's lately. No cover charge.

The one with the best price for an engine was in Tacony, Al's Orthodox U-Pull-It 5247 Unruh Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19135-2912 Phone: (215) 332-3500. Not open on Sundays....
Let me know if you need more info on any of these.

Back