• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just changed the oil/coolant question.

Whitetail

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, i just switched to that new synth oil by Quaker state, the brand new one with the Q on the bottle. anyway, it seems to have quieted the engine down a bit, and it idles smoother also. Ill let ya guys know how i like it as i get some more miles on the engine. Anyway to the question.

Can you mix the Regular Green antifreeze and the organgeish "Dex cool" antifreeze? I accidently grabbed the wrong bottle at walmart awhile ago, and well, cant return it as its been to long. Just wondering if you can, or should i just pick up the green stuff (No biggie) and keep the orange for my moms pacifica.

the reg old green stuff isn't good to mix with the new orange stuff but i beleive there is some yellow stuff out now that will work with either.

the dex cool really sux it'll work mixing it ( it makes really pretty colors ) but the dex cool also sludges up real bad. I reccomend changing all your vehicles to green coolant. the orange is reall only more pet friendly anyway.

dirt714 said:
the dex cool really sux it'll work mixing it ( it makes really pretty colors ) but the dex cool also sludges up real bad. I reccomend changing all your vehicles to green coolant. the orange is reall only more pet friendly anyway.
Dex Cool really isn't bad. It just finicky. If you contaminate it, it will sludge up. I've seen some look terrible at 5,000 miles, and I've seen some that looks perfect at 150,000 miles. If you mix in anti-freeze or no distilled water, you are really opening it up to a mess.

Never mix the two. That is when things get funky.

Either way, flush the system regulary. Even if it looks clean. If you keep clean coolant in there, you never have to worry about build up, and wear will be minimized.

The coolant system was serviced by its pevious owner (amazing, they actually serviced something other than the oil) at about 83k miles, it isn due for a change unil 110k.

Back