• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Novak T-Case linkage, anyone running it?

PocketsEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings all,

I am fairly new to the XJ world and have been an avid poster over at Cherokee Forums but decided its time to join the almighty NAXJA...and I've spent hours searching high and low and can't find a SINGLE picture of an XJ that is running Novak's shifter set up here...

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2x.htm

I've seen a few posts of people running it, and have read many mixed things. Some people love it, others say go fab your own and link to this page: http://www.bsfab.net/?p=26

I'm afraid I lack the fab skills for this and the tools...so I'm really interested in the Novak kit. Thing is, i REALLY want to retain the stock console opening for the new shifter. Can anyone tell me if they are running this setup and provide pictures/overall experience? (mostly PICS!) Also, if it helps, I got a '98 Sport 4-door with the NP242.

Thanks so much. :roll:

I wouldn't waste the money. You can modify and flip the shift lever on the transfer case, lengthen the lever for the actual shifter, and build a linkage from all thread and small heims. I've done this to mine, and it shifts just as good if not better than the cable shifter. And it's $150 cheaper...

120A1DA9-D568-43BE-8701-6F86A5B87CCD-2653-00000311EEE0A4A5.jpg

I wouldn't waste the money. You can modify and flip the shift lever on the transfer case, lengthen the lever for the actual shifter, and build a linkage from all thread and small heims. I've done this to mine, and it shifts just as good if not better than the cable shifter. And it's $150 cheaper...

Thanks much for the reply and pic. That looks much simpler than the BSFab link. I do not have a welder or a good grinder to be able to weld washers and grind them down and what not....so my question for you is, did you have to do anything special? how did you go about lengthening the shift lever?

I was considering the Novak kit also because I like the idea of a custom knob.

Thanks much for the reply and pic. That looks much simpler than the BSFab link. I do not have a welder or a good grinder to be able to weld washers and grind them down and what not....so my question for you is, did you have to do anything special? how did you go about lengthening the shift lever?

I was considering the Novak kit also because I like the idea of a custom knob.

Not really. The closest thing to "special" I had to do was when I flipped the lever on the t-case, it hit the case in 2wd. To fix this, I cut the lever in half, cut a small section out to put an angle on it so the top half of the lever would "lean away" from the case, and welded it back together. According to the BS Fab link, you can get a lever from an S-10 231 to avoid all of that mess.

And another thing, I didn't actually lengthen my handle side lever because my t case is pushed up pretty good into the floor. If I had a stock crossmember or one that would set the t case in a similar position, I would lengthen the handle side lever.

Back