• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to tilt the seat base back

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

My prior XJ's all had the captains seats where the seat itself actually tilted forwards & backwards. I loved tilting it back as it sort of held you in the seat a bit - like bucket seats.

The XJ I have now has the basic seats which do not tilt, and I find them rather uncomfortable in comparison.

I was wondering if anyone ever modified the base for a more permanent tilt?

You could stack a bunch of washers under the front 2 bolts to tilt it back a bit. Adjust the number of washers to get the tilt you want. If you stack enough, you might need longer bolts.

It's EZ to swap the "rocker" seat bases from XJ to XJ. Junkyard is your friend. They bolt right up! 4 bolts with their own trim.

In 84 AMC put some seats that swiveled at the base giving you the option of a bench like seat or a cradling bucket style seat or anything in between. May be worth your time to see if those still bolt in with the holes for later model Xj's. Think thats a safer option than washers because you need all that thread and bolt in the floor in case of an accident

It's EZ to swap the "rocker" seat bases from XJ to XJ. Junkyard is your friend. They bolt right up! 4 bolts with their own trim.
I have seen a few of those tilt bases in the yards around Denver. Although, I don't know if that does the OP any good. There is a lot of "Colorado" that is nowhere close to the Denver-metro area.

I have seen a few of those tilt bases in the yards around Denver. Although, I don't know if that does the OP any good. There is a lot of "Colorado" that is nowhere close to the Denver-metro area.

Ooooh, which yards? I'm in Boulder. Would be worth it to drive out if I can simply swap the bases.

Thanks a lot fellas.

Ooooh, which yards? I'm in Boulder. Would be worth it to drive out if I can simply swap the bases.

Thanks a lot fellas.
BOULDER!!!!!!!!! The Denver U-Pull might be 20 minutes away from you. The Denver LKQ is 5 minutes away from there.

I have not been to the yards for a couple weeks, so I'm not sure what is there at this moment. Keep tabs on the "Junkyard Finds" thread in the Colorado Chapter. I have been known to give people a heads-up when I see something they are looking for.

NAXJA:cheers:NAXJA

Back