• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some light duty mods for a camping XJ

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
Here's some shots of some stuff I've done to the Jeep in the last 6 months or so.
I trimmed the air dam off the front bumper and cleaned up the license plate holder a little bit.
DSCN1602.jpg

My new Bastard Packs. They are made with longer (long bed) S-10 leaves under a Cherokee main with poly bushings installed. The front of the 2nd leaf is under the main eye and the rear of it is much closer to the shackle eye than the old set. Hope these last longer.
DSCN1598.jpg

DSCN1599.jpg

I had stretched the YJ lines I had on it, so I decided to use some C-1500 lines like I had seen elsewhere. I had to make a bracket for the frame end and wrapped it in PV tubing to keep the shocks from rubbing them.
DSCN1589.jpg

DSCN1590.jpg

Also, I'm carrying my spare tire laying flat in the cargo area. I was a little leery of the stock tie-downs that are riveted to the floor without any extra support. I bought these at Tractor Supply for $1.29 ea. Rated at 1200LBS.
DSCN1592.jpg

Drilled the old ones out and then drilled the extra hole in the floor to mount these.
DSCN1591.jpg

DSCN1595.jpg

DSCN1596.jpg

Also while there, I was wanting to move my High-Lift inside off the roof rack. Matt came up with this idea.
DSCN1593.jpg

I think looks pretty good back there. I feel a little better about having my little girl strapped in back there now that the spare isn't going to rip lose if something should happen.
DSCN1594.jpg

Looks good, gave me some ideas, nice car seat, I think i have the same one but on the other side.

well, today was the first time I've wheeled that set of leaves. They looked like that the day I put them together, as did my last S-10 pack. The last set never broke, but the passenger side just wore out and bent (closer to the spring pad) and couldn't carry the jeep anymore. After this set is through, I'm going with a set of aftermarket springs instead of anymore BP's.

With it in the stock location, I can't close the hatch w/ the back seat latched. Also, it hits the speaker bar if its sitting on the little bracket screwed to the floor. I'm wanting to make the brackets that Go-Jeep made to fit his 32 in the back of his XJ, but have not had the motivation to do so.

Last edited:
Back