• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter or NSS?

Hickey

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having twitchy NSS problems for a while, bumping the shifter usually fixes that. This time, after some good wheelin time, I couldn't get it to start. TRied the key while rowing the shifter back and forth, It won't crank, just clicks. Banged on the starter while trying to start.... nothin. I can feel it click at the starter, that is why I think it might be the starter, and not the NSS. It wouldn't click, if the NSS was the problem, correct? I will try jumping the selenoid in the morning. I searched a lot, but no posts mentioned if the starter was clicking or not.
92 4.0 AW4

Yesterday I had a similar problem. Turn the key and the only thing I can hear is the fuel pump. The standard priming sound when the key is in the run position and then a deeper pumping sound when the key is in the start position, but no crank of the starter. I tapped on the starter and solinoid with my Maglight and then it will crank and start. It happened once last night and once this morning.

Is my starter dieing? It looks to be the original on my 89 4.0.

TIA,
Keith

Last edited:
You could bypass the NSS, but then you also have to consider that the reverse lights and part of the engine performance is based on the other connections on the NSS, it's not just the start switch, but also has contacts for 1-2, 3, Drive, and reverse...

230 bucks new, but you can rebuild for pennies. take it off, clean it up inside, and re-install, and it's good to go... It's just screwed together. A little dielectric grease inside after cleanup will help keep it dry and working well too.

Liberty, if that thing's an '89 with the original starter, I'd replace it anyway. Even if your problem stems from another part, at some point in the near future you're going to be an a difficult place and that starter will decide its time has come. Happened to me, and it wasn't a fun time getting home.

freewithfire said:
Liberty, if that thing's an '89 with the original starter, I'd replace it anyway. Even if your problem stems from another part, at some point in the near future you're going to be an a difficult place and that starter will decide its time has come. Happened to me, and it wasn't a fun time getting home.

Yeah, I think that's the deal. I'm going to get one from a buddy and put it on and see what happens.

Thanks!
Keith

Pflumingo said:
You could bypass the NSS, but then you also have to consider that the reverse lights and part of the engine performance is based on the other connections on the NSS, it's not just the start switch, but also has contacts for 1-2, 3, Drive, and reverse...

230 bucks new, but you can rebuild for pennies. take it off, clean it up inside, and re-install, and it's good to go... It's just screwed together. A little dielectric grease inside after cleanup will help keep it dry and working well too.
How does the NSS affect engine performance? I read all about cleaning the NSS while searching. MY question is, is it the starter or NSS. All the other NSS threads that read did not mention if they heard clicking when the key was turned.

Hickey said:
How does the NSS affect engine performance? I read all about cleaning the NSS while searching. MY question is, is it the starter or NSS. All the other NSS threads that read did not mention if they heard clicking when the key was turned.

To say it never clicks when the NSS is acting up is not accurate. It can click but it just depends on the condition of the connection inside the NSS. If it makes slight contact it may click. I've had NSS trouble both with and without clicking.

Yes, just clean it and make it a regular 50k-100k mile service item. Learn how to jumper the starter solenoid too from the relay and you'll never wonder if it's a bad starter/battery or NSS/ignition switch again? Every auto XJ driver should know how to do that.

Here's some photos of how it's done on an '89:

NSS_jumper1.jpg

Find starter relay and identify the middle green wire of the three in a row. Finger is touching the right one.

NSS_jumper2.jpg

Pull it off and touch it to the large B+ terminal as shown. You will have to "finesse" the connector so that the metal contacts the terminal but it will work. With key-on and hopefully in PARK, the engine should crank and start if battery, starter, cables are good.

Hmm, after seeing those pics, I now know why the explaination of that jumper job was confusing me. My selenoid doesn't exactly look like that.

Okay, you can all make fun of me now. I just did the "I fixed my Jeep dance" in the driveway...

Stupid power wire from the battery to the starter was hanging on by the insulation. I guess plastic doesn't conduct electricity. :hang:

Does anyone have a pic of their positive battery terminal? My Jeep has some booty fab wiring at the battery cables. I have two positive cables coming off the battery. One goes to the fuse/selenoid panel on the fender, and the other goes straight to the starter. Is this correct?

Hickey said:
Hmm, after seeing those pics, I now know why the explaination of that jumper job was confusing me. My selenoid doesn't exactly look like that.

That's not the solenoid, it's the starter relay and as noted 1989. Dunno if a 1994 is similar or not but that's what I found for you. All it takes is locate the wire running from the solenoid (located on the starter) and apply B+ to that for qualifying and/or an emergency starting.

A little electrical study goes a long way with modern vehicles. I couldn't imagine trying to work on my own without a basic understanding of Ohm's law and electrical rework. Practically everything covered in college and/or tech schools can now be found on the internet. Read, ask questions, learn, you'll be money ahead.

Actually, that was the starter solenoid that was showed in the pics. For the older ones it was a seperate unit from the starter itself. The 92 and 94 that were mentioned would have the solenoid on the starter since they are the newer style.

As was mentioned, the two wires coming out of the positive battery terminal are normal. The one leading to the starter is prone to going bad. When it finally went in my XJ, I used it as a reason to replace all the power leads with industrial welding cable. I also replaced the battery terminals with marine grade quick disconnects. Hopefully I'll never have to deal with electrical problems related to these components again....

nhrocker said:
Actually, that was the starter solenoid that was showed in the pics.

No, that's the silver metal starter relay behind the A/C compressor. Solenoid, or what I've called a Solenoid for 35 years, is on the starter.

freewithfire said:

That's why you need an AX-15...so all you have to do is tow it or, if you're lucky and it goes at the top of a hill, you just giver 'er a shove and coast a little...pop the clutch and don't shut it off till u get home....Also comes in nice when you are in a jam with a stall...put 'er in 1 or 2 and low and crank the starter till it crawls over whatever you need to till you're out of the jam.

hey i had the same problem last week it was my starter it was full of oil so it wasnt making contact and the little slider piece was not moving so it wasnt turning over might be your prob just pull the starter its free and easy you never know

Back