• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Cherokee for slight off-roading

XJBK2017

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA forum,

At the moment I am living out in Cambodia working for an NGO company that visits the poorer provinces and we fit fresh water wells so they have easier access. We have just got another contract for 2 years work and it's time I got myself some wheels.

As the roads are pretty bad here and there will be a fair amount of off-roading (nothing compared to what you guys get yourself into) I would love some of your opinions on the stock Cherokee and its capabilities.

My Jeep will be around the 2000 model due to the massive expense of 4x4 here and have to be able to handle pot holes the size of craters, dirt roads in wet season so it can get pretty sloppy and the odd flood to tread through. Pretty much every condition that a standard car won't be able to handle.

All opinion will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
8683d1259735882-question-2000-jeep-cherokee-freedom-edition-aev19.jpg

Sounds like a grand adventure.
When it rains it is going to get muddy real quick so tires in my opinon are going to to be the biggest thing followed by recovery gear. There are non winch or portable winch options that can be secured in the vehicle.

Man, now I feel worse about the 2000 XJ we're ripping apart at work now...

As far as a stock or stock-ish XJ goes, the off-road capabilities are VERY good as I and others can attest to. For a 2000-ish model, there are a few things I would look for, starting with an automatic transmission. Not only are they easier to drive in case somebody who doesn't know how to drive stick needs to borrow it, but they usually have lower axles gears as well. (Usually 3.07 vs 3.55 for the inline 6 engine.) Speaking of which, make sure to peek under the back and check out the rear end. Most XJ's used one of two, the Dana 35 which is a smaller, weaker axle IMO, and the Chrysler 8.25. I have personally seen an 8.25 with welded spider gears and drag slicks stand up to a 500+ horsepower engine in the 1/4 mile without issue. The 35 has a more rounded axle housing whereas the 8.25 has a flat bottom and the differntial cover sticks out a bit around the edges of the center section. The inline 6 is a great engine and myslef and others have gotten 250,000 miles of service (or more) out of them with just basic service and maintenance. However, some of the later model heads (2000 included) can develop water jacket cracks between cylinders 3 and 4. There is an updated cylinder head that remedies this, so if possible, I'd ask to see if that cylinder head has been installed. If you can find them in Cambodia, Maxxis Tire makes tires with more aggressive tread patterns that should fit a stock Cherokee. (235/75/R15 is a good choice.)

One of the best things you can do to dramatically enhance the capabilities of a stock XJ is sway bar disconnects. They can be had for ~$100-$200 new (usd, fob USA). Many come in two lengths that accommodate stock and near stock ride height and those that are for substantially lifted vehicles. Make sure you are getting the right version.

One of the best things you can do to dramatically enhance the capabilities of a stock XJ is sway bar disconnects. They can be had for ~$100-$200 new (usd, fob USA). Many come in two lengths that accommodate stock and near stock ride height and those that are for substantially lifted vehicles. Make sure you are getting the right version.

Agreed. Probably looking at 200-ish for new swaybar discos on an unlifted XJ since the only company I know of that makes them is JKS. I like the V8 ZJ tie rod upgrade too. I know the Durango steering box is a popular upgrade as well, but I never did it or the electric fan over-ride, but both sound like good mods. A tow hitch can provide some extra protection for the fuel tank, plus the ability to tow light loads. While not strictly off-road related, 4-hole injectors seem like a good idea as well and simple to do. Shocks would be a good as well, if or when needed. Everybody around here seems to like Bilsteins, but my Tuff Countrys were alright and I liked that they came with poly bushings. An onboard air compressor or one that plugs into the power outlet would be a good idea as well, especially if one plans on airing down for off-road conditions.

I think the minimum I'd want a stocker equipped with for that sort of scenario would be:

- Swaybar disconnects. Not sure what's out there for no lift, maybe DIY?
- Front recovery point (either a class-3 hitch or OEM-style tow hooks)
- Rear recovery point (class-3 hitch preferred here)
- Gas Tank skid of some sort

Any chance you could find one with the "Up Country" suspension option? Factory 1-inch lift over normal stocker (not to be confused with the "Country" trim package)

Also, depending on what you mean by "flood", consider either a snorkel or the "cowl intake mod"(DIY, you can find some writeups on it here).

I would highly recommend a locker in at least 1 axle! I would probably get a selectable for the front and decide if you want a rear one later.

Good luck oh yeahand good tires as said earlier

I would highly recommend a locker in at least 1 axle! I would probably get a selectable for the front and decide if you want a rear one later.

Good luck oh yeahand good tires as said earlier

I'm surprised it took this many responses to get "locker". I would say this would be my number one upgrade after quality tires.

Truthfully, with a lunchbox locker (like an aussie, etc.) and good tires....there will be minimal chance of ever needing other recovery gear. Lunchbox locker start around $200 and up, and can be installed with basic tools and slight mechanical aptitude.

Don't get me wrong, recovery gear is important, but I'd rather just not be stuck in the first place.

Thanks for all the great replies guys. There is a lot of terminology above I will have to do a little research on before I can reply with something useful to say. Back shortly!

Don't hesitate to ask for clarification. There is a vocabulary that is somewhat unique to off-roading, probably made a bit more challenging by the fact that English itself differs a bit from one side of the pond to the other.

Apologies if the following is too simplistic, but it is my best guess as to what you might be missing, and what probably matters most for your situation.

A locker is an alternative to the differential in the center section of your axle. A normal differential allows for the two tires on that axle to rotate at different rates. This is good for making tight turns, like parking, but not so good when you get into a situation where the amount of traction is different from one side to the other. A locker will prevent the tires from spinning at different rates. There are a variety of types of lockers, with pros and cons to all of them. This video provides a pretty good, quick overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x40WGUtdaLI

Sway bar disconnects are a means of taking the sway bar out of operation when so desired. The sway bar exists to keep the vehicle relatively level when going around corners at speed. This is great for the highway, but it comes at the price of traction off-road. The problem is that while the sway bar is trying to keep the axle parallel to the frame rails you may actually need to axle to allow one wheel to drop lower than the other in order to have traction in a rough stretch of trail. In order to be able to have a sway bar in place for the highway, but render it harmless when on the trail there are products which will allow you to disconnect it and keep it out of the way. These are probably your best choice:

http://jksmfg.com/i-13306723-cherok...nect-fits-2-3-5-lift.html?ref=category:381013

Hopefully that helps.

Ask away as needed.

I'm surprised it took this many responses to get "locker". I would say this would be my number one upgrade after quality tires.

Truthfully, with a lunchbox locker (like an aussie, etc.) and good tires....there will be minimal chance of ever needing other recovery gear. Lunchbox locker start around $200 and up, and can be installed with basic tools and slight mechanical aptitude.

Don't get me wrong, recovery gear is important, but I'd rather just not be stuck in the first place.
Getting stuck is going to happen more so with a full time locker.

I'd take a cut off wheel to the current sway bar and toss it in the trash
good tires are a must
followed by a locker
keep a strap in the back for recovery

What are the locals driving driving?
You might be better off finding a capable 4X4 that can be bought and serviced in Cambodia or where ever it is you will be working.
The newest Cherokees are at least 16 years old and are becoming hobbyist vehicles. Are Cherokee parts and experienced mechanics readily available in Cambodia?

As much as I like my Cherokee, the world is full of off-road capable vehicles that have not and probably will never be sold in the US. It limits our points of comparison.
Every time I travel overseas, I see all sorts of interesting 4X4s that we can't buy here, due to emission or crash regulations.

I would be interested in a small Toyota 4X4 or similar vehicle from one of the Japanese manufacturers.
When you are dependent on a vehicle to do your job, dependability is a top concern. It's hard to beat the Japanese at this game.

You are correct! It is best to watch what everyone else drives this way you know they are fixable but luckily enough there are a fair few Cherokee's here and plenty of parts to fix them up. And then if there are any parts that are hard to come by this site http://www.for-sale.co.uk/ will deliver to Cambodia.

Thanks for all the help guys!! I still have a lot of research todo! Today I am off out to the mechanic to get some pricing then I will be back again.

Only if you can't drive for shit. And even still, 3wd ALWAYS beats 2wd.

Or you are driving in brown snot mud that's akin to driving on ice. A locker in slick conditions on an off camber road ='s bad time.
Didn't think about road conditions did ya. Off roading over there is different than anywhere in the US.

Or you are driving in brown snot mud that's akin to driving on ice. A locker in slick conditions on an off camber road ='s bad time.
Didn't think about road conditions did ya. Off roading over there is different than anywhere in the US.

Like I said, some people can't drive for shit.

Fyi...a locker is NOT a spool, it can be controlled if you know what you are doing.

Not to toss gasoline on the fire too much, buuuuuuut....

In an off-road situation, lockers and such can help. Ultimately, they won't do much if your tires are inflated to 60+ PSI and slicker than brake fluid. I know these things from experience. Take it for what it's worth...

Back