• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker

Sullie

NAXJA Forum User
Here's a dumb question...
I've been looking at possible converting my 88 xj 4.0l to a stroker...
Here's my question...
Is there any parts I can get from a JY to keep the cost down, from other makes and models that will be Bolt in or little mods?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If you get lucky, find a 258 (4.2) and grab the crank and rods. That the stroke to make the stroker. Grab the good head 7120 (any 4.0 from 1991-1995). The 258 crank is found in the 4.2l straight 6. Do some research and find what vehicle they came in. Google is your best friend.

EDIT: I'm seeing prices of about 200 bucks for a reground crank with rod bearings. I'd also recommend a 60mm throttle body and some injectors. I have a 2000 chance with some ford 4.6 modular injectors and it runs cooler and pings less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you would like slightly better parts, I'd use 4.0 rods, and just get custom pistons. That's what I did, and its not too much more than new pistons, and they're forged. Here's some JY parts I came up with:

Mustang Injectors (i don't remember exactly which ones but I believe 5.0 ones is what I was told to use)
99+ intake and TB to port/bore
96+ NVH block and girdle
7120 cylinder head
258 crank (either the 12 weight off of earlier YJs, which requires a hub spacer or a later one which has less weights but bolts right in - I found the heavier one because I have a manual and wanted more reciprocating weight for rock crawling)

Good luck! I've definitely passed my budget :roflmao:

Check the Jeep Stroker site for the all information you are asking about.
It is the go to place for stroking the 4.0. It's where the experts are.
https://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/

I'm sensing you're looking to do this on a budget and be a smog/emissions compliant.
You'll want to stick with your Renix head and Intake with EGR provisions.

If you're able to find a 258 crank local to you that would save you a few bucks.

The area where money is well spent is going to a custom forged piston. That will allow you to use the longer more preferable 4.0 rod that you already have and get a piston with a specific dish to get you to your desired static compression ratio while maintaining a tight quench and not having to necessarily surface the block.

Feel free to email or call me and I'd be happy provide additional information and pricing on my Pistons and other related stroker kits and components.

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Email/PayPal: [email protected]

Back