• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about older model tps

Bandito

NAXJA Forum User
Hello! Nothing wrong here, just a curious question that ive had for a while now about one of my xjs. Im not sure if this is the right place to post it or not, my apologies in advance if im in the wrong area, im still a bit of a noob with this site. Anyway! Ive seen plenty of threads stating that manual trannies only have one tps plug and autos have two. Ive always heard this. However, one of my jeeps is an all original, with matching numbers, etc. Its a manual 4.0 from the factory and has TWO plugs on the tps. Very odd to me since all ive seen and heard was that manuals came with one because autos had a tcu. My auto has 2 as well. This one hasnt been swapped, im the second owner, the first being a relative and he hasnt done anything to alter its factory form. Ive gor as far as tracing the wires to see if the harness has been splived and running the vin and it matches the tranny and the wires are not altered . its a 1988 2 door sport with a Peugeot ba10/5 (yes i know, unfortunately) but could this be why? Im stumped. Again, absolutely no mechanical issues at all, so id assume it may just be a mishap from the factory? Like... it was originally supposed to be an auto but somewhere down the line it accidentally got the wrong parts due to a mistake and no one said anything? Ive got no clue but i do know for a fact that this is a 100% factory jeep.

The TPS with two connectors works perfectly fine with a manual tranny. In fact, it is getting hard to get a TPS with only one connector.

the manual transmission should have come with a single plug tps. and the autos had 2. the engine side is 100% identical. the auto trans required its own tps. and at the time could not share the engine side of the tps.

The TPS with two connectors works perfectly fine with a manual tranny. In fact, it is getting hard to get a TPS with only one connector.

See, it runs perfectly fine with both. Idk if the jeep originally was wired for an auto and got manual instead (amc has been known to just throw whatever they can get in order to push the vehicles)

Someone at some point swapped it out, regardless of what your relative recalls.

Thats the funny thing though, he bought the jeep brand new with 10 miles on it. Im the second owner. The vin codes match the engine and tranny. No one has touched the engine or tranny other than servicing, and i highly doubt its been swapped before leaving the dealership. Even then, the vin is still for a manual tranny. Not an auto. And no, the dash hasnt been altered. The the body stamp plates match. This is why im puzzled. And again, the wiring harness is 100% tamper-free. Ill run a multimeter to the second plug to see if its just a dead plug. Ive unplugged it before and it didnt make any difference. Theres no tcu.

Back