• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Differential Leak

Brassmonkey

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a very slight leak coming from my rear differential. Last Summer I swapped out my D35 for a used 8.25. It was a little crusty, but structurally intact...or so I thought. The leak appears to be seeping from the connection point of the left rear axle tube and the pumpkin. I spent a ton of time and money rear gearing, putting in an Ox locker, and adding disc brakes to that differential, so taking it out is not really an option.

Does anyone know of a good way to seal that connection without welding? If not is there be any way to weld around the tube/diff connection without disassembling (aside from draining it)? I'm guessing on second, but thought I'd ask.

Thank you!

JB weld it

I would clean the spot you suspect of leaking ... make it nice and dry, then drive for a while to see where exactly the leak is coming from. Assuming there are no structural problems, JB Weld will seal it if you get it shiny clean and dry before application.

Also, be sure your breather tube isn't blocked. That can contribute to a lot of diff leaks by allowing pressure to build up inside. Eventually, a blocked breather tube will cause the pinion seal to blow out.

Back