• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which CPS fits which years?

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
One of the first things I did when I bought my XJ was to go to the dealership, VIN in hand, and obtain a spare CPS. This past February when the Jeep suddenly died on the freeway and all symptoms pointed to the CPS I confidently tore into the job of removing the old one only to discover that it did not match the spare I was carrying.

Thankfully a friend was with with me (CoachBruce) and he took the old one into town and matched it with a new one.

All to no avail. The end of that saga wound up being the coil. Go figure.

At any rate, I now have two spare CPSs, and while I know that the one of them fits my '96, I have no clue what years the other one fits. I would really like to know the span of years for both of them. The one will definitely continue to live in my Jeep, and perhaps the other too. I just want to know what I have covered with these two sensors:

Together:

CPSSensors1OPT.jpg

The one I know fits my '96:

CPSSensors4OPT.jpg

The one the dealership thinks fits my '96, but doesn't:

CPSSensors5OPT.jpg

Any details about which one fits certain years are appreciated.

I" THINK" the Mopar one fits 98 and up."They" get confused about the 96/97 model years....ask me how I know.....

1996 was the weird year. 01/01/1996 was the change over from OBD-I to OBD-II, and some changes were phased into production at different times. Early built 96's tend be more like OBD-I and later 96's tend to be more like OBD-II.

The rectangular plug CPS fits 1997-2001. I carry a spare CPS in both of my XJ's.

Last edited:
Back