• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuse keeps blowing

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
1996 XJ, instrument lights fuse keeps blowing. It's a 15a fuse in the #15 slot. I was behind the dash putting in a replacement ac/heat control panel. I don't believe there are any electrical lines in that area of the dash that pertain to the instrument panel illumination. All the work was in the center of the dash. Any suggestions?

I think that fuse also runs the the bulbs for that control panel. Didn't smash a bulb or wiring for those bulbs? I've also seen the small wires for bulb contact (the part of the bulb) get moved over and short the socket out.

Check the wires to the shift indicator light and transfer case indicator light too...they run right in that area.

The only lamp that I messed with was the one that twist locks into the temp control panel when I was putting it back in. It was a bit of a pain as there's not much wire length to get behind it to twist the lamp mount back on. I will recheck.

Well.....Did a google search re XJ light switch blowing fuse. It seems that the issue is probably my light switch. I'm going to remove, inspect and ultimately replace it if it is the problem.

I have replaced the light switch with a new one. So this is where the situation stands.

My headlights work. The turn signals work. My brake lights work. All tell tale lights work. All the gauges work. Radio works. Blower motor works.

What isn't working. Side marker lights both front and rear. Tail lights. All gauge illumination lamps including the radio, shifter and transfer case lamps.

I am currently removing all the seats and both front and rear carpets. I believe all the wiring in the dash is good. I feel where the issue is, is somewhere under the carpet since I had removed it to wash it a few weeks ago and it was a little difficult getting the carpet back in. I think I may have stressed a connection so I'll inspect all the wiring that is under the carpet while it is out. If it isn't readily apparent then it's off the someone that might be able to find the short. I'll leave the carpet out of the XJ until the short is found.

A final update. Since the problem started after I had put my front carpet back in after cleaning it, I thought that might be where the problem is. I removed all my interior panels and both front and rear carpeting. Saw where the wiring harness crosses over the tranny hump under the center vent. Juggled the wires there and all is working now just fine. I must have stressed a connector plug when I put the carpet in before. While having the carpet out I took the time to por 15 some rust spots under the carpet. Also while the carpet is out I will wash the rear carpet. I've already done the front earlier. So all's well that ends well.

Back