• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep went wacky.

SexJ1988

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a 1988 Cherokee 4.0L 4wd Sunday. Drove great when I test drove it.

Drove about an hour home started misfiring, then died. Restarted it and now it runs super rough, also started making noise kinda like piston slap or lifter tick.

I've replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, CAS, oil, thermostat.

Still nothing.

It literally was like a sewing machine when I test drove it.

I was tinkering and noticed that I can unplug cyl 1&2 injectors at the same time and nothing changes, but if I unplug any of the others it stalls.

Help.

I was tinkering and noticed that I can unplug cyl 1&2 injectors at the same time and nothing changes, but if I unplug any of the others it stalls.Help.

That should be your first clue as to what's going on. If you have confirmed "spark" then that would lead to a injector problem! Have you done a compression test?

Hoping to do compression test tonight, also may order injectors later this week.

I'm just confused as to why within 1 hour it went haywire.

Thanks! I'm going to try to clean that tonight as well as swapping the injectors around. I ordered a compression tester and it will be here Monday. Hopefully it's just the c101 or the injectors themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would check the sensor grounds, pull them, clean them and the engine block contact area were they terminate near the oil dipstick mount on the block, passenger side.

What did you do to the jeep before the problem started? Did you cris-cross the two spark plug wires on #1 and #2 cyls?

Possible cyl head gasket leak between #1 and #2, but do the asy stuff first. Also make sure the injector connections for #1 and # 2 are not switched.

I would check the sensor grounds, pull them, clean them and the engine block contact area were they terminate near the oil dipstick mount on the block, passenger side.

What did you do to the jeep before the problem started? Did you cris-cross the two spark plug wires on #1 and #2 cyls?

Possible cyl head gasket leak between #1 and #2, but do the asy stuff first. Also make sure the injector connections for #1 and # 2 are not switched.

I didn't do anything before it started that's the issue. I test drove it(ran great). Go about an hour towards home and it started acting up.

I'd pull the valve cover and check to see if the rocker arms have backed off!

https://vimeo.com/183578086

Here is a video for you guys to see what I'm talking about.

Wow, you've been busy!

Um, you've got very good oil pressure, someone may be able to identify that exact sound for you.

But I really think the compression test will help direct your next steps. If you've got no or very low pressure I'm afraid you'll need to pull the head and take a look, or maybe scope the cylinder instead.

BTW I use the tapatalk app to load video and pictures. Seems to be the easiest way

Wow, you've been busy!

Um, you've got very good oil pressure, someone may be able to identify that exact sound for you.

But I really think the compression test will help direct your next steps. If you've got no or very low pressure I'm afraid you'll need to pull the head and take a look, or maybe scope the cylinder instead.

BTW I use the tapatalk app to load video and pictures. Seems to be the easiest way

I bought a tester it will be here Monday. No one local had one I could borrow or buy.

Back