• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dome lights wire color at the headlight switch

Tonybeirut

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I removed the headlight switch 3 weeks ago coz i had no lights at the instrument panel but it turned out to be a fuse , cleaned and put back the switch and everything worked until 2 days ago.

When i turn the headlight switch to the left (click) the courtesy/dome lights doesn't come on , i searched online and couldn't find the wire colors at the harness to follow and see where it leads and check if its shorted.

The lights comes on when i open the door so its not a fuse.

Anyone knows the color of the wires please?

Depends on the year.

The dome lights, courtesy lights are always hot, the door switch and the part of the headlight switch that turns them on goes to ground.

Best guess would be the part of the headlight switch (contacts) that grounds the inside lights has failed. Fairly common.

Possible something at the connector.

Possible a broken wire.

The ground is likely good, a whole bunch of stuff shares that same ground. Though the ground wire between the switch and the ground point may be open.

The in wire for the headlight connector on the Renix is black with a stripe, the out wire is black (ground). I really can't recall what color the stripe is.

Early 90's XJ the in wire is yellow, to the best of my recollection, the out wire is black.

Mine is 1994. Maybe you know the hot one color it will be helpful. I'm sure it's shorted somewhere. Any idea if the hot wire goes to the pcm?

Yellow wire, all the door switches share the same circuit, spliced together.

Not certain, but I think the ground wire at the headlight switch is separate from the large connector. Seems like it may be easy to forget when reassembling and installing.

96_XJ_Headlight_Switch.png

You can also try here for a diagram, http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Yellow wire, all the door switches share the same circuit, spliced together.

Not certain, but I think the ground wire at the headlight switch is separate from the large connector. Seems like it may be easy to forget when reassembling and installing.

96_XJ_Headlight_Switch.png

You can also try here for a diagram, http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

It was the ground wire not completely plugged in on the side of the switch, now i have to disassemble the switch again.
I made that wire longer last time but it went loose :(
Thank you for your help appreciated.

Back