• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disk brake front knock and pulse

Interesting idea. I may try that.

I finally welded the gauges in the front drivers side knuckle (passenger side was OK), and wow what a difference in brake power. 70% of the pulse is gone now, in fact at 50 mpg there is no pulse, just a mild slow pulse at 10-20 mph with very little brake pedal application.

Brakes are working awesome now, but the pedal still is mushy and goes to with 1" or less of the floor if I press it that far, and yet 3" from the floor if I press real fast, I can toss people and stuff out the windshield, LOL.

I did 5 panic stop tests from 50 mph, and got both rotors evenly heated to 370*F, and both rear drums up to 170*F for the first time ever, so the brakes are working. In fact I got them so hot from 5 panic stops I could smell them. Prior drive tests with normal brake usage did not get them that hot or create any odor.

The braking time has never been this good IMHO. But I do not trust this mushy pedal I have been fitting since 2013 on this one rig. I have 3 others with no problems, and I have done brakes for 45 years, and these Renix era rig brakes for 15 years.

Easy Fix for the Upper Rattle Clip Breakage:
1) Is there a Rusty Crust or Heavy/Rough/Uneven Casting Edge on the Outer Edge of the Disc?
2) If So, Put it Up on a Jack Stand, Get Under there w/ a Mill File & have a Friend Spin the Tire/Wheel as Fast as they can & File the Edge Back, until it's as Smooth & Even as you can get it.
(Round it a little too)

This Worked on My 7yr. Old Discs that had seen a Lot of Water Crossings. (Heavy Rusty Crusty Uneven Edge)
Keeps the Rough Disc Edge from Sanding Off the Middle of the Upper Rattle Clip, when Braking Hard or Slow & Steady.

I Know This Sounds JackLeg, (I'm a Machinist) But, It Works.
A Lathe Would Be the Best Solution, But, Ya Gotta Do what Ya Gotta Do, to Make Things Work in a Pinch!
UncleSarge58

Interesting idea. I may try that. That may be part of the remaining problem. Otherwise I am wondering if I have warped drum?

I finally welded the gauges in the front drivers side knuckle (passenger side was OK), and wow what a difference in brake power. 70% of the pulse is gone now, in fact at 50 mpg there is no pulse, just a mild slow pulse at 10-20 mph with very little brake pedal application.

Brakes are working awesome now, but the pedal still is mushy and goes to within 1" or less of the floor if I press it that far, and yet 3" from the floor if I press real fast, I can toss people and stuff out the windshield and nearly lock up all 4 wheels (nearly),:laugh3: LOL.

I did 6-7 panic stop tests from 50 mph, and got both rotors evenly heated to 370*F:smoker:, and both rear drums up to 170*F for the first time ever on all 4 wheels, so the brakes are all working now. In fact I got them so hot from 6-7 panic stops in a row I could smell the front two.

Prior drive tests (after the weld repair of the gauges) with normal brake usage did not get them that hot or create any odor.

The braking time has never been this good IMHO. But I do not trust this mushy pedal I have been feeling since 2013 on this one rig. I have 3 others with no problems, and I have done brakes for 45 years, and these Renix era rig brakes for 15 years.

I am seriously thinking there may be an unknown issue with the brake booster. But so far no one has ever claimed to fix a mushy pedal with a new brake booster.

Easy Fix for the Upper Rattle Clip Breakage:
1) Is there a Rusty Crust or Heavy/Rough/Uneven Casting Edge on the Outer Edge of the Disc?
2) If So, Put it Up on a Jack Stand, Get Under there w/ a Mill File & have a Friend Spin the Tire/Wheel as Fast as they can & File the Edge Back, until it's as Smooth & Even as you can get it.
(Round it a little too)

This Worked on My 7yr. Old Discs that had seen a Lot of Water Crossings. (Heavy Rusty Crusty Uneven Edge)
Keeps the Rough Disc Edge from Sanding Off the Middle of the Upper Rattle Clip, when Braking Hard or Slow & Steady.

I Know This Sounds JackLeg, (I'm a Machinist) But, It Works.
A Lathe Would Be the Best Solution, But, Ya Gotta Do what Ya Gotta Do, to Make Things Work in a Pinch!
UncleSarge58

Back