• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for any information on Right hand drive Cherokees

Wiltdog97

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to the naxja community. I've owned a 96 2 door Cherokee 4.0 ax-15 np231. Right now there's a retired post office rural carrier XJ I pass on my way to work everyday. I think it'd be really cool to drive one and I've been thinking about giving an offer to the owner but my only question is how the front suspension axle etc is set up and if parts are easy to come by for it. The only info I have on it as of now is that it's a 4-door RHD 4x4 and judging by the interior it's 84-93ish. The dash has a tachometer and other gauges which leads me to believe it's not a renix 4.0. Any information would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance for your time

I'm new to the naxja community. I've owned a 96 2 door Cherokee 4.0 ax-15 np231. Right now there's a retired post office rural carrier XJ I pass on my way to work everyday. I think it'd be really cool to drive one and I've been thinking about giving an offer to the owner but my only question is how the front suspension axle etc is set up and if parts are easy to come by for it. The only info I have on it as of now is that it's a 4-door RHD 4x4 and judging by the interior it's 84-93ish. The dash has a tachometer and other gauges which leads me to believe it's not a renix 4.0. Any information would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance for your time
Renix came with and without a tach so that tells you nothing.

Some items are specific to the RHD model. Power steering hose comes to mind. I almost bought a wrecked one a couple months back and found "most" things are universal, but those that weren't were available in the RHD configuration on RockAuto and similar sites.

A lot of the mail vehicles were made with the 2.5L engine for economy.

Side note- Some states require a driving test be performed in an RHD vehicle to amend your license for the special circumstance.

Aside from what's already been mentioned, I'd consider heavily the amount of idle time on the motor, on top of the probably high mileage, and I'd give the brake system a THOROUGH inspection; the postal carriers in WV use their personal vehicles, and I've known them to have to change out brakes monthly-this is in the mountains, though.

I'd be afraid of the wiring, I imagine the RHD is just spliced in(again, just a guess), rather than an entire redesign, and with the ground/wiring gremlins of Jeeps(and older vehicles in general), I'd weigh the cost to cool factor. Many good XJ's still out there looking for a home, if you can find them not terribly rusted.

Jack

Back