• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Soft pedal and pulls to the left.

97jeepxj1

NAXJA Forum User
I knocked out some of my brake gremlins and now have another one to deal with. It would actually be easier to list the parts of the braking system that I haven't changed but here is a list of everything new.

Pads
Rotors
Calipers
Wheel cylinders shoes and drums looked good so cleaned them off with brake clean and reused.
Master cylinder used a kit to bench bleed it.
Front and Rear soft lines
All new fluid and have bled them what seems like 100 times.
Adjusted star wheels in the rear to what I thought was a good amount of drag.

Now my pedal is still pretty soft and when i brake it pulls pretty good to the left. If I brake hard it tries to make a hard left. My brain is so frazzled from all the crap I have been doing to it lately I can't think of what is causing it. Maybe I'm not bleeding them right. Starting at the farthest away brake I pop the top on the mc and using a jar with new fluid in it I hook it up to the wheel I am working on crack the bleeder and have someone pump the pedal 5 times then hold it down for me to close the bleeder and check the fluid level. Repeat till I don't see bubbles.

Any ideas?

I would try gravity bleeding everything and then adjust the rear shoes up again. I usually adjust until the wheel is tight then back off the adjuster 6-7 strokes. Make a few forward/reverse stops to help them seat. How far have you driven it? The front pads may still be seating.

Are the bleeders for the calipers on top? Rear wheel cylinders can let in air. I also gravity bleed.

Combo valve may need bleeding, or resetting!!!!!! So everything can be bleed.....

Wrong caliper (front mount versus rear mount for the front wheel calipers....you end up with the bleed screw on the bottom instead of the top, or mounted them on the wrong sides of the jeep and thus upside down so bleed screws are on the bottom instead of the top. Bleed screws must be on the top of the caliper.

Rear wheel cylinders can suck in air after bleeding, with out leaking fluid, even brand new ones.

Check the caliper bolts, and the guides for any any problems.

Bad new parts, like a bad caliper?

I am still fighting to get mine perfect after 5 years of trying on one of 4 rigs, 4 MCs, multiple new parts (still need 1 knew knuckle-Gauges are bad on one side, or a good buddy welder to show up). 3 weeks ago I discovered one of the remaining issues was that the rear drums cable/clip keeper cable was stretched and the curved metal guide it rode on was bent and as an assembly was too loose for the automatic adjuster to make proper contact with the the clicker-keeper thingy. It would jam into the shoe and the adjuster would not adjust. Spent days sorting that issue out when I slammed on the brakes in a panic stop one day and one adjuster cam out loose rattling around in the drum. That was fun :laugh2: on the freeway.

Back