• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory fuel gauge swap

Johnnie Walker

Piece of Fish!
NAXJA Member
Rundown of my MJ..
1988- 4.0L/BA-10/5
Truck originally had dummy gauge cluster. I swapped in a full gauge cluster, and the fuel gauge reads backwards.
PO - a friend of mine swapped in a new Delphi? fuel pump asy before I got it. My guess is that is has a HO pump/sender?

That would explain why it reads backwards, correct? As IIRC the senders read opposite resistance Renix vs HO.

Anyways, I have an HO full gauge cluster from a 92, and was wondering if the fuel gauge asy is a plug n pray swap in the gauge clusters?

Any help is appreciated, TIA.

Yes, the Renix vs HO senders work backwards. I don't know if you could get by with swapping only the wires.

Yes, the Renix vs HO senders work backwards. I don't know if you could get by with swapping only the wires.

Do you mean the wires for the gauge asy in the cluster? I believe that the ohm range is different as well, but I guess I could attempt to swap the wires alone first.

I removed a dummy gauge cluster from mu MJ and installed a Cherokee one with no issues.

I understand that, and figure that the pump asy is the problem here.
Just hoping swapping the fuel gauge asy Renix vs HO in the ICP is plug n pray to "fix" the gauge issue. Or if there is more involved.

I will swap the fuel gauge asy and report back.
Thank you all for your advice.

Back