• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running hot

Keep in mind most over heating issues start or can happen at idle.

New fan clutch went in and its better but not fixed.

The new fan felt much looser on the bench turning them side by side. Once the new clutch was on the jeep it felt just as tight as the old one maybe tighter which was weird.

First start up seems louder and the roar that I remember and again driving it had more of a fan roar for sure.

Temp driving stop and go hovered around 215 and dropped to 213 which seemed better. Stopped and idled for a while it jumped to 222 pretty quick before the efan kicked on and brought it back to around 217. Once driving again it went right back down to 213-215.

I'm thinking maybe just a worn out cooling system all around so I'm replacing it all. Rather know its all new at the same time than deal with over heating headaches and risks, it's too hot here to gamble.

Just following up, drove for the first time on a freeway today with the new fan clutch.

It runs much cooler than before but the ambient temp was mid 90s not over 100 like my last time(OP). Pretty much right around 210-212 it would jump up of I passed someone but cool right back down. Get off the freeway and sit at a redlight, right to 215. Sit at another light with limited drive time between it goes to 220-221. Efan kicks on and didn't want to go past that 221 in normal traffic conditions.

I was stuck a long light and got to 221 and within maybe 90-120 seconds it was back to 210 though. Then something odd happened, after maybe another 90 seconds it showed 208 then 206 while driving 45 along a nice stretch lf road. It went back to 210 and stayed but I thought it was odd for it to go from 221 down to 206.

Could the thermostat be maybe acting goofy and not controlling flow, maybe reacting slowly or sticking?

I'm waiting on my hesco pump to do it all at once but in the mean time trying to pay attention to whats going on.

After my whole sale coolant system swap my temps seem fine again. I'm going to blame the radiator being old and maybe partially plugged and the reman water pumo though.

Today's radiators versus 40 years ago, have super thin openings inside the tubes that need just a tiny film of scale to clog up a tube.

Reading this thread got me thinking that I should replace my fan clutch. I put it on about 2 years ago. New from Rock Auto. But I don't remember which brand the box said. If it was unusually cheap or something I would have noted it.

It hardly ever comes on enough to make noise. And never noise on cold start. (My Dakota does that. And also when pulling a lot of heat from the radiator, so I know what you are referring to.).

So what fan clutch brand and part number is suggested for a 96 Cherokee 4.0 with automatic?

Thanks.

Back