• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Entry level go-karts

spaulman

NAXJA Member #769
Anyone here that is familiar with the various go-kart manufacturers? I was at Tractor Supply a couple of weeks ago and they had a 50cc off-road go-kart that looked to be about the right size for my 5 year old. I don't recall who the manufacturer was. I believe it was somewhere around $800. Are there any manufacturers that are heads-and-tails above the rest? Any online resources worth checking out? I'm just trying to gather information right now but will likely be purchasing something in the next couple of months.

I could probably sell ya this one for about $5000 :D

baja.jpg

That's pretty sweet. My five year old would be terrorizing the neighborhood with that. Is that your personal cart or was it build for some sort of design competition? What are the specs?

i have one of these, it will set you back about 8k new, but you can get them off ebay for 1 to 2k. They will humble you, it does about 120 mph with the right gearing, or it gets to 100 really quick.

kart_003a.sized.jpg

I don't think any of these would be good for a 5 yr. old. Spaulman, around here I have seen people at Rural King doing test drives in the parking lots. Might want to look into something a little bigger. When my son was 6 we got a 90cc 4 wheeler, now at 8 he wants something bigger. Alot of the smaller stuff has safety features like a throttle stop & a shut off cord. The throttle stop is nice because you can adjust the speed for the skill ot the driver. HTH. JIM.

My boys have a [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 5hp Manco Critter II. It is a blast.... I have even spent some time running it around. Might look in to those.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Glenn said:
My boys have a [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 5hp Manco Critter II. It is a blast.... I have even spent some time running it around. Might look in to those.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Glenn - How old are your boys? How old were they when they first got the go-cart? My first cart was 3 hp. I think I was in 2nd grade when we got it. I later had a 5 hp cart (4th grade or so). I want to get something age appropriate right now that will last 3 years or so. By that time, my 2nd will be ready to step into this one and I can get a bigger one for my oldest. I think the one that I saw at TSC is similar to (or maybe exactly) the Manco Spirit.

Youngest boy was 6/7 at the time we got it.

That one you posted looks much better than the one they have. IMHO, grab it. :) Good price

spaulman said:
Glenn - How old are your boys? How old were they when they first got the go-cart? My first cart was 3 hp. I think I was in 2nd grade when we got it. I later had a 5 hp cart (4th grade or so). I want to get something age appropriate right now that will last 3 years or so. By that time, my 2nd will be ready to step into this one and I can get a bigger one for my oldest. I think the one that I saw at TSC is similar to (or maybe exactly) the Manco Spirit.

Just sold this for a buddy. A guy bought it for his kid to mess around with. Not really a kids set up or a good starter go-kart.
cart4.jpg

cart2.jpg

Back