• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine shut off for no reason?

MG_43

NAXJA Forum User
Hope you on't geet tired of the Questions. Going down the road in (my new to me) have driven about 30 miles, couldn't run or drive any better, kinda stutters a couple times so I pull off the road and as soon as it came down in RPMs, dead as a door nail. I was by myself (on the way home from buying it) no way to check anything by myself and no tools. Call AAA tow home about a mile, took about an hour or so, go to push it in the garage, thought, think I'll try to see if it will start, fires right up.
Used to have this type of problems on the full size Jeeps, ignition module dead, go to parts house they say these don't have a module (at least that is sold for a 91 to 99).
So does anyone have any guesses as to whats going on with this thing?
I was thinking while waiting for the tow truck, this is not a good way to start out my life with an XJ.
Thanks in advance.
This is a 92 XJ.

Last edited:
first off what year? secondly egr valve, o2 sensor, fuel pres.? did you try to start it after it died? would it start>

jeepsrock said:
failure of the Nuetral Safety Switch or CPS sensor or culd be loose wires to them.

pete

Neutral safety switch = no crank at all, so it isn't that. CPS would be a good start, but a failure might put up a code on a 92. It might not stay on if the failure is intermittent, but it should be stored.

MG43, have you attempted to retrieve any codes yet? In case you don't know already...

Ignition switch on, off,on, off, on...codes will flash check engine light, two digits per code. 12 is battery recently disconnected, 55 is normal end of sequence, all others are significant. Get codes here, or at the link they provide to a second list: Allpar code page

Codes or not, I'd go through the engine compartment and check/clean all connectors you can find, and look closely for wiring faults, especially in the area of the crank position sensor. When you drive it again, be prepared to check for presence of spark if it fails again.

Back