• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going Through a Beater XJ 4.0.

Mikep_86441

NAXJA Forum User
Used my old smog machine of 30 years, to check for head gasket leaks into the cooling system. This machine is super sensitive to exhaust emissions. Although I had to do a lot of repair work to the machine first. Now it runs great.

The MT2500 Scanner made it obvious that the O2 sensor was bad. I'll double check the sensor wiring too make sure.

The XJ overheats easily. Engine compartment is coated in rust. I'll probably rod out the radiator.

Here is the video I shot of sniffing the overflow tank, and shooting temps of the radiator tanks.

https://youtu.be/ipxG9s8gb0U

Last edited:
my guess is that engine needs a good flush and maybe a radiator. you got some boiling coolant

For certain! Didn't help unfortunately.

Today I got about 60% through rodding out the radiator. At least 10% of the tubes were plugged, so far. I think it's the original 1988 radiator as it's all brass with plastic tanks. The bottom 1.5 inches of the center section was covered in debris that might block some air flow. I'll put in a new thermostat too since it's far easier to do with the radiator out of the vehicle. Probably should inspect the water pump too.

When you go looking for another tank make sure it has the hole for the temp sender.
That's whats nice about the cu1193, its sold as a universal xj radiator so it has all the fittings.

Re: Going Through a Beater XJ 4.0. Radiator Final Prep.

Radiator header prep plus other misc prep for reassembly in this video.

The 91+ and Renix radiator tanks are the same. They just have a couple of parts that need to get transferred from the older tank to the new. Both parts are external bolt on's. Piece of cake.

Took off the thermostat housing from the engine, and it broke apart in in my hands. Picked up a new one for the 91+ Cherokees so a petcock can be installed to maybe help burping the cooling system.

Here is radiator rod out video part 4.

https://youtu.be/NVVYm9xlGsI

Re: Going Through a Beater XJ 4.0. Misc Updates.

Next step is to replace the water pump, while it's easily accessible. It looks like cast iron so it might be original like the heater hoses are. New pump is in house already. Along with a new thermostat and housing with petcock valve.

The new gaskets for the radiator tanks are far too thin and a slightly different shape, although still rectangular. Vendor is checking stock for a fatter wall gasket. The trans cooler gaskets look right. Can't wait to have a radiator with a cap on it!! Also have new trans lines to replace seriously weather checked ones.

The tool to compress the spring at the top of the steering column arrived today. Also had to order the turn signal stalk. Half of it was broken off with wires hanging out. Can't wait to get this the column fully re-assembled !!!

Took yesterday off and looked at a semi local XJ for sale. No title and complicated too. Nice shape. Disassembled motor still in chassis. Very long shot.

Been dying to get the radiator back together. Gaskets from a CA vendor both times don't match the original. So more searching. Backup plan is to re-use the original gasket with 500 degree silicone to seal it all up.

New water pump, thermostat with bleed port, and thermostat housing with petcock valve are now installed.

Once this beater is assembled and running again, testing for overheating and driveability will make the jeep ready for engine teardown to locate the source of the engine noise.

Talked to another radiator shop and the guy said if you can't get the right gasket, just use silicone. I've got 500 degree silicone. I recon that's where I'm going.

The radiator is the only part missing for a running vehicle. In the a.m., I'll try and get the tank mounted to the radiator. The silicone only says 15 minutes of working time. Then 24 hours of cure time. So pressure testing the radiator won't occur for 24.25 hours after assembly. Sigh.

Found the track rod end is sloppy today, because the steering works so well now. One of those next weak link things. Nice to have a new turn signal stalk.

Once all of this is done, we want to drive the old girl around for a couple of days to check for overheating. Then pull it into the garage to take the valve cover, head, and oil pan off to find out what's making so much racket.

The radiator supply shop in SoCal was on the phone with me probably an hour yesterday. The tank that holds the transmission cooler, has 3 different sized gaskets, it turns out. Basically, 3 flat o-rings you might say. One of them they sent me already. The other two they don't carry and can't get.

So I ordered a small sheet of 1/16 thick high temp silicone gasket material to cut new gaskets from. It won't get here for a week.

The tank gasket that looks like a giant o-ring, isn't available either. Another shop told me they just use silicone to seal the old gasket with. So I will, with 500 degree silicone that's already here.

If I can find some large rod or tubing I'll make some punches to cut out the gaskets. I get the feeling this won't be my only XJ.

I sure enjoy doing projects like this. This one is just taking longer.

Cool to see you put in all the work to rod it out . I hope it holds pressure ! I've always just ordered the cheap radiators, but this is cool if you have a all brass radiator and the time to do all of this !

Cool to see you put in all the work to rod it out . I hope it holds pressure ! I've always just ordered the cheap radiators, but this is cool if you have a all brass radiator and the time to do all of this !

I pressure checked it on bench. It holds pressure nicely. Test drove it today and all is well !!

Re: Going Through a Beater XJ 4.0. Radiator Finished !!!

A test drive and over an hour of idle testing and jeep is not overheating at all !!
After a few days of driving it around, it will be time to put it in the garage for motor tear down to find the engine noise.

https://youtu.be/xUSj6ZiZjOQ

Back