• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 overheating and stumbling/bogging down

Jalapeño_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 96 2 door all stock 2wd. The guy I bought it from had replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, water pump, radiator, and spark plugs. Since I've had it I did the cluster swap and replaced the temp sensor at the back of the head. I've noticed that while I'm driving on the highway it will get hot, gauge shows about 20* hotter than the scanner ( scanner shows 220*). It doesn't get hot idling or light to light. I have flushed the cooling system and replaced the t-stat. Still running too hot for only 80* in Houston. Also noticed that when cruising down the highway it will occasionally stumble and start to bog down, also does it under hard acceleration but it's not consistent. Not sure if these issues are related. Any help is appreciated

if the scanner shows 220 F peak and no higher, that is typical of 1996-01 OBD vehicles that have. They run at 212 to 222 F all day long no matter how cold or hot it is in Houston. Jeep dash gauges are notorious for being inaccurate as far reading absolute temps. My 87 reads 100 F at 190 F LOL. Using an aftermarket temp sensor in the rear block, instead of OEM is said to add to the error. Welcome to the Houston Red River chapter Jeep XJclan!!!

The miss can one or more of many things. Dying O2 sensor or the TPS Throttle position sensor going bad, or dirty battery cable clamp contacts/wires, or need for a tune up, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor for starters are all common causes.

Have you checked it with an OBD scanner for error codes, hard or pending? Pending codes do not set the check engine light. Parts stores can run the scans for free.

Back