• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad crankshaft sensor?

Sub Zero

NAXJA Forum User
The engine keeps dying randomly on my 94 xj. It's a manual transmission and the rpms drop to 0 when the engine dies instead of still showing the engine speed as the engine slows down in gear. I originally thought it was an electrical issue, but all other electronics still work when the engine dies. From what I've read, the crankshaft sensor (ckp) sends engine speed and crank position to the pcm. I believe this is what is causing the dying and loss of tach as the engine can't read the engine speed to adjust fuel injector timing, etc. Just wanted to see what everybody else thought to confirm

Last edited:
Will do. I was pretty sure that was the case but just wanted some input. I will check the wiring because it runs fine 90% of the time so a wire could be grounding out or something. Most crank sensors I've seen are either good or bad, not intermittent like I'm seeing. Usually the engine won't even fire either, in my experience. Thanks for the help

Possible it is a sticky IAC, if the IAC diesn't open when the throttle plate is closed it can choke the motor. More common when the motor is cold, the sludge is thicker in the IAC when it is cold.

Been my experience when the IAC goes bad you get hard iffy starts and sometimes a really ratty running motor if it does start. It can be intermittent in the beginning and gets progressively worse as time passes.

Back