• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping or Chipping noises on Accel, after turn?!

SouthSeaPirate

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, to start, Jeep has always had a sluggish start sometimes. This issue is new and doesn't seem to correlate.

Basically a couple of weeks ago I started getting belt squeal on cold start. Goes away pretty quickly.

Now Im getting a popping noise or just a noise cause even popping doesn't accurately describe the sound (see video). It almost sounds like a loud failing relay (but too loud for that).

It has recently started and happens AFTER I make a turn AND accelerate. Tho it just happened, for the first time, today that I got the same noise moving straight at about 45. It never does it at idle, above 35, or moving straight (except the once today).

I have also noticed that when it happens at night (because lights are on) I notice the gauge lights flicker with he noise, ever so slightly, but it deff there.

Apologies for the crap video. Gotta turn up volume to hear it. It happens at beginning and end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZh2K6Ugx28&feature=youtu.be

2001 XJ, Manual, 4.0

Couldn't hear anything. If you can find an old digital camera, you might taping a tripod to the underside and recording

Going to use a buddies old gopro
Turn up the volume, it's clearly there.
The noise you hear is not road noise or creaking interior.

Have you fixed this?
Either tighten it or replace it with replacing the preference.

Nope
It's tight
Belt has less than 4000 on it
Has about 100 on new engine with no issue till now, same tightness.

Thanks for the help and ideas guys
Looks like it was the starter just barely engaging
This little bugger somehow made its way to the solenoid

2017_07_22_153_7512f19d2c9b8b1fa7c0_1.jpg

Back