• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 2 Door Build

The line I had on the D60 fell through as the guy stopped responding to me. So, I think I'll just run the 44 for the remainder of the season. I've already found an XJ steering box and hope to pick it up this evening. I've also ordered a rebuild kit for the box and a new non-keyed pitman arm. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do with the rest of the steering. I may end up welding up some bracing on the stock chevy knuckle for now.

Tear down of the motor for a rear main seal and new header will begin this evening. I hope to start the tear down on the new-to-me steering box tomorrow and have it drilled and tapped by Wednesday night. I'm debating about throwing new seals in the tapped Durango box I currently have and putting it up for sale. On the other hand, it would be nice to have a spare box already tapped just in case.

37698425426_1624d0f856_c.jpg

37715014482_0a1e1e3637_c.jpg

Nothing exciting completed last night. New water pump is on, new to me mirrors are installed and I got the replacement steering box cleaned up. Spent the rest of the night pulling parts off the shelves of the shop to haul out to the Uwharrie Jamboree tomorrow. Hoping to sell/trade as much as possible. It'll be nice to have some more space on the part shelves.

Put in a little more wrench time last night. The Durango box has been removed and I inspected the frame for cracks. It's still nice and clean. I got the new thermostat installed and a couple of the hoses hooked up. I then started disassembling the new to me XJ box so I can drill and tap it for hydro assist. I'll end up rebuilding the Durango box and selling it most likely. I also removed the steering shaft and welded the shaft to the coupler at the the steering column. There's an overmoulded rubber bushing there that likes to dry out and crack. Once that happens, it creates slop in the steering.

37873802222_8af4947a80_c.jpg

37873802192_10c1576631_c.jpg

37195124324_4c725b29bc_c.jpg

37904728451_997ee9a4d1_c.jpg

That was the worse thing I have ever done on my xj. Taking that damn recirculating ball box appart.....

That was the worse thing I have ever done on my xj. Taking that damn recirculating ball box appart.....

Haha it can be a pain if you don't have a set of calipers. The balls are supposed to be two different colors (Black and silver) but if the box is heavily used, you can't tell the difference. If you measure them, you'll see there is a .001" difference in the diameter. That's what I had to do with the Durango box and I'll do the same with this one just to be sure. Reinstalling them can be a pain but going slow and not trying to rush helps a great deal.

Haha it can be a pain if you don't have a set of calipers. The balls are supposed to be two different colors (Black and silver) but if the box is heavily used, you can't tell the difference. If you measure them, you'll see there is a .001" difference in the diameter. That's what I had to do with the Durango box and I'll do the same with this one just to be sure. Reinstalling them can be a pain but going slow and not trying to rush helps a great deal.

If I ever decide to rebuild another I'll make sure I have some calipers handy. As long as I can talk or pay xjsavage to drill and tap a box for me I'll let him. He does it without tearing it down. I have one now that needs a pitman arm seal.

If I ever decide to rebuild another I'll make sure I have some calipers handy. As long as I can talk or pay xjsavage to drill and tap a box for me I'll let him. He does it without tearing it down. I have one now that needs a pitman arm seal.

I've seen how he does his. It's pretty smart. I'm too worried about metal shavings remaining in the system and complete rebuild kits are only $25.

A pitman arm seal isn't too bad. It's just the 4 bolts holding the output shaft and then the snap ring holding in the seals. I had to do mine earlier this year.

Last edited:
No pictures but the new box is assembled and installed. The whole right side of the motor has been reassembled. Below is the to-do list. Hopefully this week I'll get it all finished.

Replace oil pan gasket
Replace rear main seal
Fill and bleed steering
Replace heim joint at pitman arm with high angle TRE
Drain and fill rear diff (break in oil is still in there)
Replace air filter
Install harnesses
Tie B and C pillars together

Well I finished the jeep before the Veteran's Ride a few weeks ago. Didn't take any pictures at that ride. I did go back out to Uwharrie Saturday. My fiance drove majority of the day and we took the pups with us. She ran the front side of Daniel for the first time and did great. The dogs really like riding in the jeep and love being out in the forest.

26786920769_fa0703247a_c.jpg

37845907274_3410dd4f0e_c.jpg

38562836521_984904e60e_c.jpg

37674837305_809f9dc63e_c.jpg

37674837345_0ea47a96d8_c.jpg

Adam do you know if the Dana 60U from the Ecoline vans ever switched to the ford metric pattern? I am considering picking one of these up to match my SD D60 front.

Adam do you know if the Dana 60U from the Ecoline vans ever switched to the ford metric pattern? I am considering picking one of these up to match my SD D60 front.

I’m not sure. I thought I read somewhere that they switched to Sterling rears when they went to the metric lug pattern. I could be wrong though

Got some G Force harnesses installed. A buddy and I went to Apex to puck and some 36" tires for him and I picked up some new(to me) wheels and tires(39s). I'm hoping to find time tonight to mount the new tires on the jeep.

24467433237_f968df198c_c.jpg

39302167792_ed88bac9b4_c.jpg

Got the tires mounted and went to Big Creek yesterday. It was very slick thanks to the rain we've had this past week. Tires did OK at best. I could tell a difference just because they were taller but, as for traction, There wasn't noticeable improvement. I'll go back out there when it's dry and I expect different results.

Damage report from yesterday includes:
Passenger ball joints
Axle side track bar mount
Front fenders damaged due to tire rub
Drag link safety washer at knuckle was rubbing the wheel

So, I've ordered the following:
Reid passenger knuckle
high steer arm
Studs/hardware
TRE for high steer
Hockey pucks (for front bump stops)

Here's the only pic I have at the moment. As soon as pics/vids start showing up from the ride yesterday, I'll post them

24820805607_65dd8ed39a_c.jpg

Big creek is awfully slick. We rode there for CTB Christmas ride after it was snowing and raining and even Troy was spinning out on obstacles. Maybe boggers would be the only tire to impress people there when the ground is wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big creek is awfully slick. We rode there for CTB Christmas ride after it was snowing and raining and even Troy was spinning out on obstacles. Maybe boggers would be the only tire to impress people there when the ground is wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sure is. Only two made that line on Boulder. Robby Mosley made it up with his Iroks but he beat on it to bounce up it (as he always does). We made winch hill fairly easily but Perimeter hill was a different story. Only two attempted it and both had to winch out of some very sketchy lines.

It sure is. Only two made that line on Boulder. Robby Mosley made it up with his Iroks but he beat on it to bounce up it (as he always does). We made winch hill fairly easily but Perimeter hill was a different story. Only two attempted it and both had to winch out of some very sketchy lines.

I need to get back over there and check it out.....

This past Saturday I stripped down the front axle to replace the ball joints and install a Reid knuckle for high steer. A new axle side track bar mount will be going on as well.

39259677274_0d80ed5416_c.jpg

25099539057_88a8eea53e_c.jpg

Last night I stripped down the driver knuckle to replace the ball joints. Those should arrive today. I also built the track bar and new axle side mount. The track bar is pretty short (27.5") but it fits. It's also not perfectly parallel to the drag link but it's closer than it was. It's right at 2.5 degrees off from the drag link. For the time being I'm just going to use the RE frame side mount I had. I will be replacing it once I order the front frame stiffeners and I'll correct the angle at that time. I'm hoping to finish the whole thing up tonight.

28225075509_5f80f615fe_c.jpg

39972423022_2f766fdc21_c.jpg

Back