NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 10th, 2017, 19:51
NAXJA Member

What's everyones thoughts on chassis grounds?

I like them because they are less complicated and tend to lead to a cleaner finish IMO. But there's the side of me that knows that the connections aren't perfect and are prone to corrosion problems. What are you guys using, from r how long and why did you choose what you chose?

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:17
NAXJA Member 4950

Re: What's everyones thoughts on chassis grounds?

Common grounds are, battery to motor, battery to fender, and motor to firewall.
These are important and are something that should not be skimped on.
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:27
NAXJA Forum User

http://www.gardnerbender.com/en/ox-100b
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:32
NAXJA Forum User

Just clean the common grounds every few years, and coat them with conductive grease. I've never had a corrosion issue.

I use this but there are much cheaper options: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That grease is something I keep on hand for other projects anyway.
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:32
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
How critical is the using sand paper to work it in like the intstructions say on the tube?
I usually just clean the connections up really well, coat the piece and assemble.
Old August 11th, 2017, 09:46
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green XJ Jeep View Post
How critical is the using sand paper to work it in like the intstructions say on the tube?
I usually just clean the connections up really well, coat the piece and assemble.
I don't use that exact brand, but what you do is just fine.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old August 11th, 2017, 11:04
NAXJA Forum User

For a little extra belt and suspenders, I ran 10ga wire between ground locations and added a few while I was at it (interior was out and I had the materials on-hand). A single black 10ga wire, it takes looking for with all of the brightly colored power wires and circuit breakers. I use Liquid Electrical Tape

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...-400/100119178
Old August 12th, 2017, 09:02
NAXJA Member

i raised the question because i ran a second fuse box for accessories and these accessories need grounds and so do my relays. the engine bay is starting to get cluttered to the point that i dont like looking at it.
Old August 12th, 2017, 13:50
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kego814 View Post
i raised the question because i ran a second fuse box for accessories and these accessories need grounds and so do my relays. the engine bay is starting to get cluttered to the point that i dont like looking at it.
Depending on your current load if you have the chassis grounded to the motor and battery well enough you should be able to ground whatever, wherever you need to to the chassis.
Old August 12th, 2017, 16:09
NAXJA Forum User

Every ground I wire goes back to the battery.

I won't be the one with future ground issues.
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:20
NAXJA Member #1145

Upgrade your "Big three" grounds - battery to body, battery to engine block, and engine block to body- and be done with it.
You don't have to use the factory attachment points, either.

My accessory grounds (if critical, like audio system) all go to a copper plate (procured years ago when I was a car audio installer, before copper went stupid on the commodities market) with a short jumper to the battery negative. Otherwise I'm running 00 welding cable soldered and heatshrunk to replace the Big Three grounds, with the attachment points being cleaned down to bare metal, installed with a star washer, and then painted over. On further thought, I am really liking the use of liquid electrical tape instead of paint. I overlooked that product since it's always seemed like a "flunkie tool" for idiots that don't know how to use electrical tape (seriously, after spending a few years doing high-end installs and reworks of customer supplied equipment, you see some stupid crap). Using it to paint over the proper grounding points on the body is a brilliant use that I'm sorry to say never occurred to me.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.