NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 12th, 2017, 13:15
NAXJA Forum User

TRE boot cut open by DS wheel

I just replaced all the TREs in my front steering. I am all stock tires/suspension/etc.

I drove it a few days, maybe 10 miles total. I was back under the car today checking on everything, and noticed a shit ton of grease all over the driver side wheel hub and rim. It had definitely burst/spewed while driving as grease was smeared in a circle all the way around the tire, and was collected into a clump @ the knuckle or brake(?)

I felt back there and sure enough the boot has a perfect split across it. It feels more like a cut then a rip, so I think it was cut via rubbing against the wheel hub (or some part of wheel) while driving.

The TRE is definitely a tight fit in there. Is this a common problem? How on earth do I fix that/why would it be rubbing like that?

EDITL: the only other thing I can think of is that when I was back under the Jeep (I was replacing draglink again), so I disconnected TRE from draglink and let it hang. I remember hearing the TRE @ the DS knuckle squirt some grease. Is it possible that when I disconnected the TRE from the drag link and let it fall, it squeezed all the grease to one side of the TRE @ knuckle and made it split open? Is that more likely?

Last edited by shmicah; August 12th, 2017 at 13:34.
Old August 12th, 2017, 15:32
NAXJA Forum User

Re: TRE boot cut open by DS wheel

You over filled the TRE with grease, the dust cover burst under pressure.

1-3 pumps, that's it.
Old August 12th, 2017, 20:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Driver View Post

1-3 pumps, that's it.
I would agree. Too many folks think they need to pump until they see them leak grease.
Old August 13th, 2017, 14:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
I would agree. Too many folks think they need to pump until they see them leak grease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Driver View Post

1-3 pumps, that's it.
Yeah and pumping until I saw the old grease start to seep out is what I did

That's what I read online and thats what I did., Lesson learned, oh well. Guess that will be my third trip to NAPA