• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Needed trans mount

xtimmax

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to see if anybody has a transmission mount in new or decent shape for the peugot ba10. Bought one but it is for the aw4/ax15. Just thought I'd ask before i ponied up the money and bought a new one.

Thanks,

Tim

I had the same problem, My tranny mount was just mush, a handfull of gummie bears would have done a better job at this point. I looked around and no one had one either. The only place I could get one was at the stealership. They wanted a fortune for this thing, almost $200! So I was like yeah whatever!

Then i had an idea, make my own and it cost me an evenings worth of work and a $10 chunk of neoprene rubber. Here's some pics to look at if anyones ineterested..

When I got the old transmission mount off I had to seperate the rubber from the bracket. Theres plates that hold the sides of the rubber you'll have to hammer or pry these plates off the top part of the mount.

CARFULL!! Don't damage the mount!

Now theres a piece of plate metal that is electric tacked to the bottom part of the bracket shown in the pics (specifically pic 7 from the left). In this pic I have already ground that peice of the bracket off. It appears to be a formed piece that is supposed to hold the rubber on the bottom with a cone in the center. Once I have prepped this piece I just set it aside for now.

I went to a place here in my town that distributes rubber products. They happen to have many scrap peices of rubber and just asked what I could get. 10 bucks later I had a peice more than enough for what I needed. The block I grabbed was about 2"H x 5"W x 9"L in demension, I cut it down to size for the bracket.

I cut it to length of the top part of the bracket (big formed peice that mounts to the transmission) and cut the width down so that the marked parts of the mounting holes on the top part of the bracket can be seen to clear the mounting bolts for it (shown in pic 11). The height or thickness is up to you, it doesn't have to be exact but close enough is best.

Side Note:
Since I needed to lower the crossmember for my dual side exhaust my rubber peice had to be about an inch thicker than the stock rubber that was in there, also had to make 1" spacer for the crossmember to lower the crossmember.

Now for the hard part, at this point there is nothing that will hold these pieces together. The original mount had the rubber molded in the bracket so we need to do something similar. In this case I thought it would easiest to get 2 bolts to hold it together. The tricky part is to line up the top and bottom parts of the bracket with the new peice of rubber sandwiched together. So once I got this far I mounted the top part of the bracket back to the tranny and mounted the crossmember with the block of rubber in there and marked the relationship of the rubber on the brackets. You might find an easier way to do it but this is what I did at the time.

After all that, whew! I grabbed the upper part of the bracket and marked it for drilling holes. But theres a problem here, the top part has only enough room for something like a carrage bolt or something similar, a bolt with a short head to be more specific. There isn't enough room between the tranny and the topside of the upper part of the bracket. So I went with carrage bolts which just so happens to be short enough to clear and there strong enough for the job. Don't get bolts that are too long or they will hit the bottom the the crossmember in the inside!

The bottom of the crossmember meaning - the crossmember is basically hollow there's a space in there you should know becasue you had to unbolt the bottom part of the bracket from the crossmember.

There's also a second problem there's a hump in the center of the bracket and it might interfere with the head of the bolt. I don't know what this hump is for exactly but theres a hole in it that goes straight through the mount. It did with mine so I had to grind about a 1/3 of the head of one of my bolts for it to sit flush. I shouldn't be a problem because it would be best to weld the bolts to that bracket anyway.

Side Note:
Reference to picture 11, it would be wise to drill the holes through the rubber and the lower part of the bracket before welding the bolts on. :) just in case.

Now at this point you should be about where the last pic is basically an assembled unit. Now for the last part.. YAY! The crossmember doesn't have clearance for the bolts that hold the brackets and the rubber together so you will need to drill holes or cut material away so that the nuts used to tighten the mount all together can pass through top of the crossmember.

Now just about done, I hope.. Basically bolt the assembed mount to the transmission and then bolt the crossmember to the mount, make sure the lower part of the bracket is on the right way or the holes won't line up, if it is just undue your bolts that hold that bracket to the rubber turn it around bolt it back in.

Now if in case your wondering, I'm not sure exactly but it happened to me you might notice that the angle the tranny is sitting at in relation the crossmember might be at an angle. What I mean is that the bottom bracket won't sit flush with the crossmember, you've got a few options..

1. Do it like me an just torque the focker down!!

2. Take it all apart and cut an angle on the rubber mount appropriate to the angle of the transmission.

3. Shim the beaaaaawch and torque the focker down!

Personally option 2 would be best but I went with option 1, it only bent the bracket a little anyways, but the choice is yours.

Now, if you managed to decipher my cryptic "How-To" then good for you! you should have a mount that's dirt cheap or with a little elbow grease. If you haven't.. uh-oh but in any just ask any question, I'll do my best to give a better explanation.

It littery took me all evening to do this, theoretically it should only be a few hours of work, but then again I had to find out on my own on how to do this. It seems like a loooong process but its really not.. trust me :p

My mount works awsomely and all that jerking and jumping around it used to do has gone away and I've noticed my initial torque has crispened up a bit too. The great part about this is that if you need to change it again or you want to soften it or firm it up then it will be quick and easy!

Another thing I guess I should mention is that I haven't thought about using a different mount ti'll after the work was done. I don't know if it would have been easier to modify to fit or not. Well anyway, like I said earlier ask away any questions, I'll try to answer as best I can.

Sorry for the super long post. bleh! :p

nice post john! very detailed!
i like it!

call the tech police we have a mini writeup!

:D
good job :yelclap:

Dang.. I wish I would have known about this before I spent 80 bucks on a new one. Oh Well. Im gonna save this for next time I need a new mount. (hopefully I'll have an ax-15 by then). Good write up.

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry, I would have sent a PM If I knew about your post earlier. Ye, $80 bucks ain't too bad a price, it's still A LOT I think for a mount. I couldn't get it any cheaper than $169 plus tax, like I said, fock it I'd rather make my own anyway! :laugh3:

UPDATE!!

Well I got my testing done and the verdict is partial failure. What had happened was that the 2 studs that I have welded in had broken, sheered right at the weld. Looking back at what I've done revealed that the tranny mount was too hard mounted and put too much stress on the 2 3/8" studs. This time around after pulling the mount I put in something more like dowl pins for the rubber. I took out the studs and welded 1/2 inch solid pins in the original place of the studs approx. 1 1/2 inch long, long enough to get deep in the rubber but not too long as to protrude the other side then on the lower part of the bracket I did the same thing but perpendicular drilled holes for the other pins.

With this setup the pins will hold the rubber in place but will not be hard mounted which would render the rubber useless (later I realized this, unfortunately) and put too much stress on them and break.

The image above is the best I can do ATM because I forgot to take pictures, sorry. I guess the best about this was that I didn't have to take off the transmission crossmember to get the mount out and put it back in. :greensmok

John(XJ)Jeep said:
Yeah, sorry, I would have sent a PM If I knew about your post earlier. Ye, $80 bucks ain't too bad a price, it's still A LOT I think for a mount. I couldn't get it any cheaper than $169 plus tax, like I said, fock it I'd rather make my own anyway! :laugh3:
you just were not talking to the right person :anon:

Back