• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throw=throw, not through

throw
18 entries found for throw. The first 10 are listed below.
To select an entry, click on it. For more results, click here.

Main Entry: 1throw
Pronunciation: 'thrO
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): threw /'thrü/; thrown /'thrOn/; throw·ing
Etymology: Middle English thrawen, throwen to cause to twist, throw, from Old English thrAwan to cause to twist or turn; akin to Old High German drAen to turn, Latin terere to rub, Greek tribein to rub, tetrainein to bore, pierce
transitive verb
1 a : to propel through the air by a forward motion of the hand and arm <throw a baseball> b : to propel through the air in any manner <a rifle that can throw a bullet a mile> c : PITCH 6b <threw a no-hitter>
2 a : to cause to fall <threw his opponent> b : to cause to fall off : UNSEAT <the horse threw its rider> c : to get the better of : OVERCOME <the problem didn't throw her>
3 a : to fling (oneself) precipitately <threw herself down on the sofa> b : to drive or impel violently : DASH <the ship was thrown on a reef>
4 a (1) : to put in a particular position or condition <threw her arms around him> <thrown into chaos> <threw him into prison> (2) : to put on or off hastily or carelessly <threw on a coat> b : to bring to bear : EXERT <threw all his efforts into the boy's defense> <throw their weight behind the proposal> c : BUILD, CONSTRUCT <threw a pontoon bridge over the river>
5 : to form or shape on a potter's wheel
6 : to deliver (a blow) in or as if in boxing
7 : to twist two or more filaments of into a thread or yarn
8 a : to make a cast of (dice or a specified number on dice) b : ROLL 1a <throw a bowling ball>
9 : to give up : ABANDON
10 : to send forth : PROJECT <the setting sun threw long shadows>; also : SHED 3c <throw some light on the matter>
11 : to make (oneself) dependent : commit (oneself) for help, support, or protection <threw himself on the mercy of the court>
12 : DEPOSIT 2b <the wine throws sediment>
13 : to perform (as a stunt) successfully <throwing tricks on a skateboard>
14 : to indulge in : give way to <threw a temper tantrum>
15 a : to bring forth <throws a good crop> b : to give birth to <threw large litters>
16 : to lose intentionally <throw a game>
17 a : to move (a lever) so as to connect or disconnect parts of a clutch or switch; also : to make or break (a connection) with a lever b : to put (an automobile) in a different gear especially quickly or suddenly <he threw the car into reverse>
18 : to give by way of entertainment <throw a party>
intransitive verb : CAST, HURL
- throw·er /'thrO-&r/ noun
- throw cold water on : to discourage especially through pessimism or indifference
- throw money at : to spend large sums of money on or for especially recklessly or ineffectively <trying to solve problems by throwing money at them>
- throw one's weight around or throw one's weight about : to exercise influence or authority especially to an excessive degree or in an objectionable manner
- throw to the wolves : to leave unprotected against fierce opposition or attack
- throw together
1 : to put together in a hurried and usually careless manner <a bookshelf hastily thrown together>
2 : to bring into casual association <different kinds of people are thrown together -- Richard Sennett>
synonyms THROW, CAST, TOSS, FLING, HURL, PITCH, SLING mean to cause to move swiftly through space by a propulsive movement or a propelling force. THROW is general and interchangeable with the other terms but may specifically imply a distinctive motion with bent arm <can throw a fastball and a curve>. CAST usually implies lightness in the thing thrown and sometimes a scattering <cast it to the winds>. TOSS suggests a light or careless or aimless throwing and may imply an upward motion <tossed the coat on the bed>. FLING stresses a violent throwing <flung the ring back in his face>. HURL implies power as in throwing a massive weight <hurled himself at the intruder>. PITCH suggests throwing carefully at a target <pitch horseshoes>. SLING stresses either the use of whirling momentum in throwing or directness of aim <slung the bag over his shoulder>.

No c'mon Terry you're being a meanie.

After all, Brad did go to the extra effort to think of the hardest way he could possibly misspell an easy word like throw. That's gotta be worth something, right?

:D

OT said:
throw
18 entries found for throw. The first 10 are listed below.
To select an entry, click on it. For more results, click here.

Main Entry: 1throw
Pronunciation: 'thrO
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): threw /'thrü/; thrown /'thrOn/; throw·ing
Etymology: Middle English thrawen, throwen to cause to twist, throw, from Old English thrAwan to cause to twist or turn; akin to Old High German drAen to turn, Latin terere to rub, Greek tribein to rub, tetrainein to bore, pierce
transitive verb
1 a : to propel through the air by a forward motion of the hand and arm <throw a baseball> b : to propel through the air in any manner <a rifle that can throw a bullet a mile> c : PITCH 6b <threw a no-hitter>
2 a : to cause to fall <threw his opponent> b : to cause to fall off : UNSEAT <the horse threw its rider> c : to get the better of : OVERCOME <the problem didn't throw her>
3 a : to fling (oneself) precipitately <threw herself down on the sofa> b : to drive or impel violently : DASH <the ship was thrown on a reef>
4 a (1) : to put in a particular position or condition <threw her arms around him> <thrown into chaos> <threw him into prison> (2) : to put on or off hastily or carelessly <threw on a coat> b : to bring to bear : EXERT <threw all his efforts into the boy's defense> <throw their weight behind the proposal> c : BUILD, CONSTRUCT <threw a pontoon bridge over the river>
5 : to form or shape on a potter's wheel
6 : to deliver (a blow) in or as if in boxing
7 : to twist two or more filaments of into a thread or yarn
8 a : to make a cast of (dice or a specified number on dice) b : ROLL 1a <throw a bowling ball>
9 : to give up : ABANDON
10 : to send forth : PROJECT <the setting sun threw long shadows>; also : SHED 3c <throw some light on the matter>
11 : to make (oneself) dependent : commit (oneself) for help, support, or protection <threw himself on the mercy of the court>
12 : DEPOSIT 2b <the wine throws sediment>
13 : to perform (as a stunt) successfully <throwing tricks on a skateboard>
14 : to indulge in : give way to <threw a temper tantrum>
15 a : to bring forth <throws a good crop> b : to give birth to <threw large litters>
16 : to lose intentionally <throw a game>
17 a : to move (a lever) so as to connect or disconnect parts of a clutch or switch; also : to make or break (a connection) with a lever b : to put (an automobile) in a different gear especially quickly or suddenly <he threw the car into reverse>
18 : to give by way of entertainment <throw a party>
intransitive verb : CAST, HURL
- throw·er /'thrO-&r/ noun
- throw cold water on : to discourage especially through pessimism or indifference
- throw money at : to spend large sums of money on or for especially recklessly or ineffectively <trying to solve problems by throwing money at them>
- throw one's weight around or throw one's weight about : to exercise influence or authority especially to an excessive degree or in an objectionable manner
- throw to the wolves : to leave unprotected against fierce opposition or attack
- throw together
1 : to put together in a hurried and usually careless manner <a bookshelf hastily thrown together>
2 : to bring into casual association <different kinds of people are thrown together -- Richard Sennett>
synonyms THROW, CAST, TOSS, FLING, HURL, PITCH, SLING mean to cause to move swiftly through space by a propulsive movement or a propelling force. THROW is general and interchangeable with the other terms but may specifically imply a distinctive motion with bent arm <can throw a fastball and a curve>. CAST usually implies lightness in the thing thrown and sometimes a scattering <cast it to the winds>. TOSS suggests a light or careless or aimless throwing and may imply an upward motion <tossed the coat on the bed>. FLING stresses a violent throwing <flung the ring back in his face>. HURL implies power as in throwing a massive weight <hurled himself at the intruder>. PITCH suggests throwing carefully at a target <pitch horseshoes>. SLING stresses either the use of whirling momentum in throwing or directness of aim <slung the bag over his shoulder>.
Yeah, what he said. :D

-----Matt-----

MogifiedXJ said:
Yes it should have been "throwing".
Please use, "throughing", in a sentence.

Edit: Aw hell, you edited out the part where you said that throughing is a word. Never mind.....

[sharpening my 'shit' stir stick]
rofl2.gif
[/stick]

TRNDRVR said:
[sharpening my 'shit' stir stick]
rofl2.gif
[/stick]
I see you're a fan of Teddy Roosevelt. Wasn't he the one who said "Speak softly and carry a big shit-stirring stick"? I'm pretty sure it was him.

I've been looking throw a bunch of websites to double check, though. I'm trying to be thorough, and not just throughing out false information.

-----Matt-----

You guys fawking suck! You've effectively killed my inner child(who's been misspelling throw, throwing and it's derivaitives for the last 32 years). Thank you, I have funeral to plan. :D

Also:

You are not "saleing" and item, you are "selling" it.

I just realized it's going to take me way too long to type out all the spelling and grammar errors that annoy me on this site. Did any of you people finish high school?

Fine - two "words" we can see doing away with...

"Prolly." Come on - how difficult is it to spell "probably?"

"Walla." What the Hell is this - half a city in Washingon? "Viola" is more correct - et viola! is best.

I think that text messaging shall be the death of the English language - although journalists misappropriating words comes close as a possible cause. I swear, if I have to heard the word "tragedy" on the news one more time to refer to something horrible, I'm going to harm someone. Severely. 30 people dying in a single incident is terrible, and may even be horrific, but it is not RPT NOT "tragic." Look it up - and you get a definition close to what the newsies say it is, the dictionary is wrong...

5-90

GSequoia said:
No c'mon Terry you're being a weanie.

:D
Or is it wienie or weeny. I think it actually comes from the word Wien which is what the Austrians call Wien and America calls Vienna.
I can get along with many misspellings as long as it doesn't interfer with the meaning to much.
It doesn't actually make much difference if the "I" is before the "E" in many instances.
The object of the hole :) exercise is communication. Function over form.
As a side note, my computer crashes everytime I try and use my American spell checker. I guess German Windows just isn't up to it.

Last edited:
CRASH said:
Also:

You are not "saleing" and item, you are "selling" it.

I just realized it's going to take me way too long to type out all the spelling and grammar errors that annoy me on this site. Did any of you people finish high school?

Axel? ;)

Back