• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine temp. gauge no reading

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
so recently i have noticed that my engine temp gauge wont go any higher than just a tad over being right on 100 degrees and i know im not getting that good of cooling so anyone have any ideas as to what is happening. oh and my XJ is a 97 6 cyl. auto 4x4 with 140,000 miles

ok when i get a chance ill check there. however there is a sensor on the thermostat housing. would that be it i mean it would make sense

I think the one by the t stat sends info to the computer. The one on back of the head is the guage sending unit. I recently changed mine. You have to get the OEM part from the stealership though.

where exactly is the sensor on the back of the head? also the needle on the gauge moves up a little when i turn the jeep on but it doenst go any higher than a little higher than bein right on 100. would that be the gauge itself or more likely the actual sensor?

Can't help there. My sensor was completely broken off, the needle was on zero. I knew what the problem was then. The sensor is on the back of the head--drivers side right beside the valve cover.

The sensor in the t-stat housing goes to the computer and not the gauge. The gauge sensor sets on the back of the head on the drivers side. I think this sensor can be tested with a ohm meter but can't remember off the top of my head what the parameters were. If your reading anything like 5 ohms then replace it. IF it isn't that then you have a wire problem. YOu will have to check the lines with a ohm meter and figure out where it may be shorting at.

does it instantly say 100 when it's still cold? or does it climb to 100 as it warms up, and stop there? I've had a termostat stick open on me before, and it does make the motor run way too cool. It's a possibility, and well worth the $6 for a new thermostat to make sure it's working properly.

it would warm up to 100. but i was drivin home from college yesterday which is like a 2 1/2 drive. but i dropped my friend off at an exit near her house on the way and that when i looked down and noticed that my gauge was reading like normal again

Back